Railroaders Can't Overcome Early Deficit In Loss To Saints
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Rafael Palmeiro walked a franchise-record four times and Levi Scott drove in a pair of runs, but Cleburne couldn't rally from an early deficit in an 8-5 loss to the St. Paul Saints at CHS Field on Monday night.
Palmeiro recorded four of Cleburne's 10 walks on the night, but Patrick Mincey gave up seven runs on seven hits over a season-low 3.2 innings in his 10th start of the year.
Cleburne struck out 13 times and Cam Monger had five - the most in club history. The Railroaders fell to 4-16 on the road and have lost three straight on the six-game trip.
The Railroaders fell behind by seven in the 4th inning, after Burt Reynolds clubbed a two-run homer and Anthony Phillips hit his first home run of 2018 - a three-run shot to put the Saints up 7-0.
Cleburne rallied in the 5th, however, scoring three times against St. Paul starter Ryan Zimmerman, who gave up three runs on four hits over 4.1 innings. Palmeiro worked a bases-loaded walk and Levi Scott cut further into the deficit with a two-run single.
The Railroaders scored twice more in the 6th after Blake Grant-Parks sparked a two-out rally with a double and then scored on Trevor Sealey's RBI double. Cleburne then loaded the bases again before Palmeiro's second bases-loaded walk made it 7-5.
The Saints added an insurance run in the 6th after Burt Reynolds singled with two outs, stole second and then reached third on a throwing error by Grant-Parks. Brady Shoemaker then singled up the middle to score Reynolds and drive in his team-best 32nd run of the season.
The Cleburne bullpen went four innings and gave up just one unearned run.
The Railroaders and Saints continue their three-game series with Game 2 on Tuesday night. First pitch from CHS Field is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and RHP Dylan Mouzakes will take the mound for Cleburne.
Cleburne returns home July 13th to open a series with the Chicago Dogs. Good seats are still available and all promotional info can be found at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2018
- X's Bats Held in Check against Chicago - Sioux City Explorers
- Kane's Start and Offensive Outburst Buoy Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- The T-Bones Cash in on Two Errors in 2-1 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Errors Pile up for Saltdogs in 2-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- St. Paul Thwarts Cleburne, Capturing Consecutive Home Wins for the First Time Since May - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Drop Second Game in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Canaries Beat Goldeyes in Longest Game in League History - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Win Longest Game in League History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Roar Back to Clinch Series vs. RailCats - Texas AirHogs
- You Complete Me: Saints Get Starter Trevor Foss to Round out Rotation - St. Paul Saints
- Season-High 15 Left on Base Too Much to Overcome in 7-4 Loss to Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- X's Win Inaugural Meeting with Dogs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Seize Extra-Inning Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Hold Onto Early Lead Despite Pitching Woes - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Open Gary Series with 5-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Comeback Bid Falls Short in 3-2 Series-Opening Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Nine-Run Comeback Attempt Dies with Tying Run on Base - Lincoln Saltdogs
- McCann Drives in Four as Goldeyes Mount Comeback - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Goldeyes Slip Past Canaries in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Can't Overcome Early Deficit In Loss To Saints - Cleburne Railroaders
- Offensive Explosion as Saints Down Railroaders 8-5 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.