RedHawks Seize Extra-Inning Opener
WICHITA, Kan. - A two-run double from Maikol Gonzalez in the top of the 12th inning proved to the be the difference as the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks outlasted the Wichita Wingnuts 5-3 on Monday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The Wingnuts (29-19) rallied to force extra innings with two runs in the bottom of the ninth against Fargo-Moorhead closer Randy McCurry. Zach Nehrir singled home a run to trim the RedHawks lead to 3-2, then Abel Nieves lined a sacrifice fly to tie the score at 3-3. Wichita had a chance to win the game with the bases loaded and one out, but Fargo-Moorhead reliever Geoff Broussard struck out John Nester and Graylin Derke to keep the game going.
In the 12th, the RedHawks (26-22) got a pair of singles from Chris Jacobs and Tim Colwell to put men on the corners, then Gonzalez lined a double just inside the left field foul line to score pinch-runner Derrick Fox and Colwell all the way from first. Wichita got a two-out single from Logan Trowbridge in the bottom of the inning, but Benji Waite (2-2) retired Nick Rotola on a grounder to third to secure the win.
Fargo-Moorhead got on the board first when Wingnuts starter Charlie Gillies spiked a wild pitch to score Brennan Metzer in the second. Gillies struck out double-digit hitters for the second straight start, punching out 10 RedHawks over six innings.
Tony Thomas smacked an opposite field solo homer in the bottom of the second to tie the game at 1-1, but the RedHawks moved back in front when Charlie Valerio lined an RBI single in the sixth, scoring a pair of runs on Zach Nehrir's errant throw to third.
The Wingnuts and RedHawks continue their series on Tuesday night, with Tyler Kane (1-1, 6.75) going up against fellow right-hander Trey McNutt (2-4, 4.83). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2018
- X's Bats Held in Check against Chicago - Sioux City Explorers
- Kane's Start and Offensive Outburst Buoy Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- The T-Bones Cash in on Two Errors in 2-1 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Errors Pile up for Saltdogs in 2-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- St. Paul Thwarts Cleburne, Capturing Consecutive Home Wins for the First Time Since May - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Drop Second Game in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Canaries Beat Goldeyes in Longest Game in League History - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Win Longest Game in League History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Roar Back to Clinch Series vs. RailCats - Texas AirHogs
- You Complete Me: Saints Get Starter Trevor Foss to Round out Rotation - St. Paul Saints
- Season-High 15 Left on Base Too Much to Overcome in 7-4 Loss to Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- X's Win Inaugural Meeting with Dogs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Seize Extra-Inning Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Hold Onto Early Lead Despite Pitching Woes - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Open Gary Series with 5-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Comeback Bid Falls Short in 3-2 Series-Opening Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Nine-Run Comeback Attempt Dies with Tying Run on Base - Lincoln Saltdogs
- McCann Drives in Four as Goldeyes Mount Comeback - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Goldeyes Slip Past Canaries in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Can't Overcome Early Deficit In Loss To Saints - Cleburne Railroaders
- Offensive Explosion as Saints Down Railroaders 8-5 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.