Goldeyes Slip Past Canaries in Ninth
The Sioux Falls Canaries jumped out to a 4-0 lead in Winnipeg on Monday, but the Goldeyes mounted a comeback to slip away with a walk-off win.
Matt McCann hit an RBI single in the bottom of the ninth, to break a 4-4 tie and give the Goldeyes the 5-4 victory in the series opener from Shaw Park.
The Birds took an early lead in the first inning when Dan Motl hit a leadoff home run off of Winnipeg starter Kevin McGovern. It was Motl's second pro home run after he had homered one at-bat earlier in the ninth inning of Sunday's game.
Former Goldeye David Bergin followed the homer up with an RBI double, scoring Blake Schmit. The Birds led 2-0 after one.
The Canaries used a pair of leadoff triples to extend their lead. Motl hit a three-bagger in the third, scoring on a ground ball from Jordan Smith
Jordan Dean knocked a triple of his own in the fifth inning, crossing the plate on a groundout from Patrick Fiala one batter later, giving the Birds a four-run lead.
Canaries starter Joe Bircher grinded through 5.2 innings, stranding 10 Winnipeg runners through his first five innings of work. He allowed his only run on a Matt McCann RBI single in the sixth.
Birds manager Mike Meyer pulled Bircher from the game one batter later, and Miles Nordgren worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the seventh to keep the Birds' lead at 4-1.
McGovern worked seven solid innings for Winnipeg, allowing four runs on seven hits. He struck out nine without walking a batter.
Winnipeg would strike again in the seventh off Nordgren. The Goldeyes put men on the corners with one out. Winnipeg catcher Tyler Baker drove in Josh Mazzola with a single, making it 4-2 Sioux Falls.
Nordgren then struck out Tucker Nathans, bringing up McCann with two on. With Kyle Schepel ready to go in the bullpen, Meyer left Nordgren in the game to face McCann.
McCann hit a two-run triple, tying the game at 4. Schepel then entered the game, getting Josh Romanski to ground out to end the inning.
The Birds had a rally snuffed out in the eighth. After a leadoff single by Motl, Jordan Smith lined into a 6-3 double play.
Adamant that Motl had reached first in time, Smith was ejected while arguing the call by first-base umpire Joey Stegner.
The game remained tied in the ninth, and Schepel gave up two singles and a walk to load the bases for McCann with one out. With the Birds' infield in, McCann hit a single down the right-field line to give Winnipeg a 5-4 win.
The Birds and Goldeyes have a quick turnaround ahead, with game two of the series set for 11 a.m. Kevin Folman will start for the Canaries; the Goldeyes have not named a starter. Birds fans can listen to the game on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN or online at kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2018
- X's Bats Held in Check against Chicago - Sioux City Explorers
- Kane's Start and Offensive Outburst Buoy Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- The T-Bones Cash in on Two Errors in 2-1 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Errors Pile up for Saltdogs in 2-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- St. Paul Thwarts Cleburne, Capturing Consecutive Home Wins for the First Time Since May - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Drop Second Game in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Canaries Beat Goldeyes in Longest Game in League History - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Win Longest Game in League History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Roar Back to Clinch Series vs. RailCats - Texas AirHogs
- You Complete Me: Saints Get Starter Trevor Foss to Round out Rotation - St. Paul Saints
- Season-High 15 Left on Base Too Much to Overcome in 7-4 Loss to Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- X's Win Inaugural Meeting with Dogs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Seize Extra-Inning Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Hold Onto Early Lead Despite Pitching Woes - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Open Gary Series with 5-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Comeback Bid Falls Short in 3-2 Series-Opening Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Nine-Run Comeback Attempt Dies with Tying Run on Base - Lincoln Saltdogs
- McCann Drives in Four as Goldeyes Mount Comeback - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Goldeyes Slip Past Canaries in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Can't Overcome Early Deficit In Loss To Saints - Cleburne Railroaders
- Offensive Explosion as Saints Down Railroaders 8-5 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.