American Association Game Recaps
July 10, 2018 - American Association (AA) News Release
Sioux Falls 4, Winnipeg 2 (18 Innings) - Box Score
The Sioux Falls Canaries and the Winnipeg Goldeyes played the longest game in American Association history on Tuesesday. Sioux Falls topped the Goldeyes 4-2 after the marathon affair, breaking an 11-year-old record for most innings played (17, Fort Worth vs. Pensacola on Aug. 3, 2007).
The game took five hours and 33 minutes to complete which is longest regular-season game in league history.
The game started in the morning at 11:05 and the Canaries scored the game's first runs in the top of the second as both RF Chris Grayson and C Mike Hart scored on an error. Winnipeg's CF Reggie Abercrombie put the Goldeyes on the board when he scored on a wild pitch in the sixth and LF Grant Heyman (2-for-8) doubled in the tying run in the bottom of the eighth.
For the next 10 innings, the match stayed tied until Grayson hit a two-run home run in the top of the 18th and that proved to be the difference maker.
The two teams combined for 129 at-bats and a total of 14 pitchers saw action in the game. Both teams had 15 strikeouts.
Kansas City 2, Lincoln 1 - Box Score
The Kansas City T-Bones slid past the Lincoln Saltdogs 2-1 on Tuesday at Haymarket Park.
In the second inning, the T-Bones scored the first run of the night when CF Keith Curcio (3-for-4) touched home as LF Dexter Kjerstad reached on an error. But the Saltdogs tied things up in the bottom of the inning when DH Curt Smith hit a lead-off single and then came around to score when LF Randolph Oduber singled.
The T-Bones scored what turned out to be the game-winning run when DH Adrian Nieto drew a lead-off walk and eventually scored when 3B Mason Davis (2-for-4) reached on an error.
On the bump, starting pitcher Tommy Collier (4-3) earned the win for working seven innings and giving up the lone run on six hits and striking out six batters. Reliever Joe Filomeno snagged the save after tossing the ninth.
St. Paul 5, Cleburne 4 - Box Score
The St. Paul Saints topped the Cleburne Railroaders 5-4 despite a late push from the visitors at CHS Field.
St. Paul built a 4-0 lead through the first four innings and led 5-1 after the fifth where RF John Menken (2-for-3) singled home CF KC Huth (3-for-4) for the Railraoders and 2B Zach Walters countered with a lead-off home run. Cleburne drew one back in the seventh when Huth singled to allow DH Cameron Monger to score. In the ninth, Huth struck again with a two-RBI single before being thrown out for the final out.
For the Saints, CF Kyle Barrett went 4-for-5 to lead the way and he was one of five different batters to score a run on the night. Both LF Burt Reynolds and Walters went 2-for-4 with two RBI.
Texas 7, Gary SouthShore 4 - Box Score
The Texas AirHogs worked their way out of an early hole with a four-run sixth inning and held on for a 7-4 win against the Gary SouthShore RailCats.
Trailing 3-1, the AirHogs quickly went to work in the sixth. 3B Luo Jinjun hit a leadoff single and then scored when SS Yang Jin doubled in the next at-bat. Jin sored when RF Stewart Ijames reached on a fielder's choce and then Ijames touched home as LF Dillon Thomas (2-for-4) bounced out. 1B Chen Junpeng (2-for-4) capped off the rally with a single that scored DH Corelle Prime.
For the RailCats, CF D.K. Carey (2-for-4) singled home RF Tillman Pugh in the bottom of the frame to pull within one run at 5-4 but a two-run home run from Thomas in the eighth sealed the win for the visitors.
Chicago 5, Sioux City 3 - Box Score
The Chicago Dogs jumped out to a quick start and they made that stand up for a 5-3 win against the Sioux City Explorers.
In the top of the first, the Explorers' LF Luis Durango (3-for-4) hit a lead-off ground rule double and RF Michael Lang followed in the next at-bat with a home run. In the bottom of the inning, SS Edwin Arroyo hit a solo home run and, later in the inning, RF Jonathan Moroney (2-for-4) tripled home both DH Joe Benson (2-for-4) and 1B Dalton Blaser to take the lead.
C Michael Falsetti scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the second to extend the lead. In the third, the Explorers found the plate again when CF Jay Austin (2-for-4) doubled in Durango but that was the final run of the game for Sioux City.
CF Kenny Wilson added an insurance run with an RBI single in the bottom of the sixth.
Wichita 8, Fargo-Moorhead 3 - Box Score
The Wichita Wingnuts turned 15 hits into eight runs and dropped the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks 8-3.
Eight of the nine batters in the Wichita order recorded at least one hit in the game and six of them had multi-hit games. SS Leo Vargas had a team-high three hits and added an RBI and a run scored. 3B Ryne Willard was one of five batters to have a pair of hits and he also had two RBIs and two runs scored. DH Tony Thomas also went 2-for-4 and hit his league-leading 13th home run.
For the RedHawks, RF Tim Colwell went 3-for-4 with a run scored and both 1B Chris Jacobs and CF Devan Ahart each added a pair of hits.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2018
- X's Bats Held in Check against Chicago - Sioux City Explorers
- Kane's Start and Offensive Outburst Buoy Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- The T-Bones Cash in on Two Errors in 2-1 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Errors Pile up for Saltdogs in 2-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- St. Paul Thwarts Cleburne, Capturing Consecutive Home Wins for the First Time Since May - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Drop Second Game in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Canaries Beat Goldeyes in Longest Game in League History - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Win Longest Game in League History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Roar Back to Clinch Series vs. RailCats - Texas AirHogs
- You Complete Me: Saints Get Starter Trevor Foss to Round out Rotation - St. Paul Saints
- Season-High 15 Left on Base Too Much to Overcome in 7-4 Loss to Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- X's Win Inaugural Meeting with Dogs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Seize Extra-Inning Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Hold Onto Early Lead Despite Pitching Woes - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Open Gary Series with 5-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Comeback Bid Falls Short in 3-2 Series-Opening Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Nine-Run Comeback Attempt Dies with Tying Run on Base - Lincoln Saltdogs
- McCann Drives in Four as Goldeyes Mount Comeback - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Goldeyes Slip Past Canaries in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Can't Overcome Early Deficit In Loss To Saints - Cleburne Railroaders
- Offensive Explosion as Saints Down Railroaders 8-5 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.