Saltdogs Nine-Run Comeback Attempt Dies with Tying Run on Base
LINCOLN, NE - The Lincoln Saltdogs rallied from down 12-3 to put the tying run on base in the bottom of the ninth inning before succumbing to the Kansas City T-Bones 12-9 at Haymarket Park Monday night.
After the Saltdogs (27-22) scored six runs in the eighth to make it a three-run game, Kansas City (31-17) brought on 2017 American Association Reliever of the Year Cody Winiarski to try to close out the game. He retired the first two batters he faced but walked T.J. Bennett to keep the game alive. Then, Randolph Oduber smacked a single and Brandon Jacobs walked to load the bases. Nathaniel Maggio represented the go-ahead run but struck out to end the game.
Winiarski notched his sixth save of the season and Barrett Astin earned his second win against the Saltdogs. Dimitri Kourtis took the loss for Lincoln after lasting just three innings.
Kansas City had their bats going early. Dylan Tice started the game with a double and scored two batters later on a Nick Torres base hit. Dexter Kjerstad came through with a two-out single to plate two more runs in the inning and make it 3-0.
The T-Bones tacked on runs in the second and third innings on five combined hits to stretch their lead to five runs. Bennett and Ivan Marin combined to throw out a runner at home plate in the second frame.
Astin retired the first nine Saltdogs he faced but ran into trouble in the fourth. Cesar Valera and Marin drew walks to start the inning. Valera scored on a wild pitch to get Lincoln a run.
The Saltdogs momentum continued to the fifth inning. Dashenko Ricardo and Valera each drove in runs with singles and Lincoln trimmed the deficit to two runs.
Saltdogs right-hander Tyler Herron tossed two shutout innings of relief but sputtered after that. KC pushed across four runs on three hits and an error in the sixth inning. Mason Davis and Taylor Featherston each pounded home runs in the seventh to bring the T-Bones lead to 12-3.
Lincoln's comeback started against reliever Francisco Gracesqui in the eighth. Christian Ibarra launched a three-run homer before the righty was able to record an out. Gracesqui struck out Curt Smith but let the next four batters reach on three walks and a single. Dashenko Ricardo drove in a run with a sac fly off new reliever Marcus Crescentini. Cesar Valera put an exclamation point on the frame by driving in a run on a single in his second at bat of the inning to make it 12-9.
Jake Hohensee and Cortland Cox combined to throw two scoreless innings of relief for the Saltdogs.
Lincoln tries to even the series with Kansas City on Tuesday night. First pitch is at 6:45 PM with coverage beginning at 6:15 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and saltdogs.com/stream.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2018
- X's Bats Held in Check against Chicago - Sioux City Explorers
- Kane's Start and Offensive Outburst Buoy Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- The T-Bones Cash in on Two Errors in 2-1 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Errors Pile up for Saltdogs in 2-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- St. Paul Thwarts Cleburne, Capturing Consecutive Home Wins for the First Time Since May - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Drop Second Game in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Canaries Beat Goldeyes in Longest Game in League History - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Win Longest Game in League History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Roar Back to Clinch Series vs. RailCats - Texas AirHogs
- You Complete Me: Saints Get Starter Trevor Foss to Round out Rotation - St. Paul Saints
- Season-High 15 Left on Base Too Much to Overcome in 7-4 Loss to Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- X's Win Inaugural Meeting with Dogs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Seize Extra-Inning Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Hold Onto Early Lead Despite Pitching Woes - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Open Gary Series with 5-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Comeback Bid Falls Short in 3-2 Series-Opening Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Nine-Run Comeback Attempt Dies with Tying Run on Base - Lincoln Saltdogs
- McCann Drives in Four as Goldeyes Mount Comeback - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Goldeyes Slip Past Canaries in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Can't Overcome Early Deficit In Loss To Saints - Cleburne Railroaders
- Offensive Explosion as Saints Down Railroaders 8-5 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Saltdogs Stories
- Saltdogs Collect Talented Group of Players to Complete Earlier Trades
- Haymarket Park Picked as 'Field of the Year' for the 18th Straight Season
- 2018 Season Recap
- Season Recap: Third Straight Winning Season Marked by Great Moments
- Curt Smith Named American Association Player of the Month