Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, January 20 vs. Red Deer
CALGARY HITMEN (21-18-3-1, 46 pts.) vs. RED DEER REBELS (26-14-2-1, 55 pts.)
Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 4:00 p.m. MT - Scotiabank Saddledome
The Calgary Hitmen are back in the Scotiabank Saddledome this afternoon for their first home game in 15 days as they host the Red Deer Rebels in a 4:00 p.m. start. It's Ashley HomeStore - Hope To Dream Day where five mattresses will be given away to four low income families.
It's also Sunday Funday presented by Ricky's All Day Grill. Activities include face painters, concourse activities, giveaways and a post-game family skate that is FREE with a game ticket. Sunday Funday features a specially priced $9.99 ticket for kids 12 and under and a $14.99 ticket for adults (plus applicable fees and taxes).
Radio: Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Webcast: WHL Live at whl.neulion.com
- Carson Focht (2g, 1a) is riding a three-game point streak.
- Luke Coleman (2g) has scored in back-to-back games.
- Riley Stotts (2g, 1a), Hunter Campbell (2a) and James Malm (2a) are all on two-game point streaks.
- Mark Kastelic (2g, 4a) has points in four of his last five games.
LAST GAME RECAP: Calgary dropped a 3-2 decision to the Oil Kings in Edmonton yesterday afternoon. Edmonton never trailed building leads of 2-0 and 3-1. Matthew Robertson, Carter Souch and Vladislav Alistrov all scored for the Central Division leaders who improved to 4-0-1 against Calgary this season. Luke Coleman and Carson Focht replied for the Hitmen while both teams finished with 27 shots on goal. Edmonton was 2-4 on the power play, Calgary 1-4.
VS. RED DEER: Today is the seventh of eight regular season meetings between the Hitmen and Rebels. Red Deer has won five of the six games by a combined score of 23-16. Mark Kastelic (3g, 1a), Cael Zimmerman (2g, 2a) and Jake Kryski (4a) are Calgary's top performers in the season series with four points each. Brandon Hagel (5g, 8a) leads the Rebels with 13 points. Jeff de Wit (6g, 2a) is next with eight. The two teams will meet for the final time this regular season on Saturday, Feb. 2 in Red Deer.
2018-19 SERIES RECAP
Sept. 28/18 at RD: RD 4 CGY 3...Brandon Hagel (1g, 2a) led the Rebels scoring attack.
Sept. 30/18 at CGY: RD 6 CGY 5 OT...The Rebels erased a 5-3 deficit with two goals in the final 4:18.
Oct. 23/18 at RD: RD 3 CGY 1... Alexander Alexeyev scored a pair of goals to lead Red Deer.
Nov. 3/18 at CGY: RD 1 CGY 0...Ethan Anders made 34 saves for the shutout.
Nov. 30/18 at RD: RD 6 CGY 2...The Rebels jumped out to a 5-0 second period lead.
Jan. 4/19 at CGY: CGY 5 RD 3...Cael Zimmerman led the Hitmen with two goals and an assist.
INSIDE THE SERIES
Shots on Goal: CGY 221 RD 152 Power Plays: CGY 1-19 (5.3%) RD 7-25 (28%)
BOUNCING BACK: Since starting the season 0-5-1-0, the Hitmen have gone 21-13-2-1.
WHL DEBUT: Calgary's first pick, fourth overall in the 2018 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft, Sean Tschiegrl is expected to make his WHL debut this afternoon against Red Deer. The 15-year-old forward has been playing midget in the CSSHL this season with OHA Edmonton Prep. In 24 games, Tschiergl has 43 points including 18 goals.
FAST FACTS: Entering play today, rookie Jack McNaughton has made 18 consecutive starts in goal... Mark Kastelic has 10 multi-goal games this season...Luke Coleman has scored in five of his last seven games...Tye Carriere returned to the line-up yesterday in Edmonton after missing 11 games with an injury.
RECENT RUN: Calgary has picked up 34 of a possible 46 points in their last 24 games posting a record of 16-6-1-1.
WHL TOP 15: Mark Kastelic is in a two-way tie for sixth in the WHL in goals with 29 while his 15 power play markers lead the league. Egor Zamula is sixth in defencemen scoring with 39 points. Dakota Krebs is in a three-way tie for 10th in plus/minus among defenceman at +19.
PLAYOFF CHASE: With 25 games remaining in the regular season Calgary holds the final Eastern Conference Wildcard spot, sitting two points ahead of the Brandon Wheat Kings. Brandon is idle until Friday when they visit Regina.
CORRAL SERIES LUNCHEON: The Hitmen are reuniting the greatest junior hockey line in Calgary history for "The Corral Series Luncheon" sponsored by Sportsnet 960-The Fan. The event from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 31 in the Scotiabank Saddledome Chrysler Club will feature a Hot Stove Panel with the trio of Danny Gare, Jerry Holland and Mike Rogers. That line combined for 806 points during three seasons with the Calgary Centennials from 1971-74. Tickets for the luncheon are $60 each (plus applicable fees and taxes) and include the following:
- Buffet Lunch
- Special Corral Series gift
- Additional guests to help celebrate hockey in the Stampede Corral
A table of eight tickets is also available for $400 (plus applicable fees and taxes) with full details available online at http://hitmenhockey.com/corral-series-luncheon In February; the Hitmen will play a trio of regular season games at the historic Stampede Corral in "The Corral Series" presented by Adrenalin Source for Sports. As a tribute to the city's hockey history, the Hitmen are dedicating each game on Feb. 1, 6 and 8 to former local teams who once called the Stampede Corral home by wearing commemorative jerseys of the Calgary Centennials, Wranglers and Cowboys. Tickets are still available with three-game pack starting at $59.25 for kids and $74.25 for adults.
CANADA WINTER GAMES: Three Hitmen prospects have been named to play in the 2019 Canada Winter Games. Forward Sean Tschigerl will suit up for Team Alberta with defenceman Tyson Galloway on Team British Columbia and defenceman Rory Neill on Manitoba. The tournament will be held in Red Deer from Feb. 16-22.
MAYFAIR DIAGNOSTICS INJURY REPORT: Carl Stankowski (week-to-week, lower body), Jake Kryski (indefinite, upper body), James Malm (day-to-day, upper body).
CAREER YEARS: With still 36.8 percent of the regular seasons schedule remaining, four Hitmen players have set new career highs in point totals. Their previous high is in brackets: Mark Kastelic 46pts (45), Kaden Elder 34pts (32), Egor Zamula 39pts (18) and Jackson van de Leest 13pts (5).
IN THE COMMUNITY: On Tuesday, Jan. 15, the Hitmen were invited to Siksika Nation in a partnership to learn about the Blackfoot culture while at the same time act as mentors for youth. Upon arrival the team was greeted by the elders and took part in a prayer and smudging ceremony. They then held a team practice with more than 200 kids and families in attendance. During the skate, General Manager Jeff Chynoweth and Vice President/Alternate Governor Mike Moore hosted a question and answer session with coaches. Post-practice the Hitmen signed autographs and were treated to a meal followed by a traditional drumming and dancing ceremony.
All times in MT. Schedule subject to change.
DATE OPPONENT TIME BROADCAST
Jan. 25 vs. Prince George 7:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Jan. 27 vs. Kootenay 2:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Jan. 29 at Regina 6:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Feb. 1 vs. Brandon 7:00 p.m. Sportsnet.ca/960 (Alt Stream)
Feb. 2 at Red Deer 7:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Upcoming home game highlights include:
- TODAY vs. RD is Ashley HomeStore - Hope To Dream Day and Sunday Funday presented by Ricky's All Day Grill
- CBE Night on Jan. 25 vs. PG
- Dodge Skate with the Hitmen on Jan. 27 vs. KTN
- The Corral Series - Presented by Adrenalin Source for Sports on Feb.1 vs. BDN, Feb. 6 vs. REG and Feb. 8 vs. PA.
- Family Game and Sunday Funday presented by Ricky's All Day Grill on Feb. 10 vs. MJ
- Lunar Celebration/Calgary Catholic on Feb. 15 vs. MH
- TELUS BE BRAVE on Feb. 27 vs. SC
- Multicultural Night on Mar. 1 vs. BDN
- WHL Suits up with Don Cherry to Promote Organ Donation - Presented by RE/MAX and Sunday Funday presented by Ricky's All Day Grill on Mar. 3 vs. KTN
- One Ticket, One Tree on Mar. 8 vs. EDM
- Fan Appreciation and Sunday Funday presented by Ricky's All Day Grill on Mar. 17 vs. EDM
CAREER MILESTONE WATCH
- Kaden Elder three assists away from 50 and eight games shy of 300.
- Hunter Campbell played game 100 on Jan. 12 in Prince Albert.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2019
- Winterhawks Rally Late against the Americans, But Fall 3-2 - Portland Winterhawks
- Outhouse Keeps Silvertips in the Cold - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Topple Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- Hitmen Topped by Rebels - Calgary Hitmen
- Blazers Edge Cougars, 3-2 - Prince George Cougars
- Shoppers Drug Mart Fans Choice Voting Returns - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Broncos Erase Three-Goal Deficit But Fall Late to Tigers - Swift Current Broncos
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, January 20 vs. Red Deer - Calgary Hitmen
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Tri-City - Game #45 - Portland Winterhawks
- Thompson Powers Wheat Kings to Win - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Broncos Erase Three-Goal Deficit But Fall Late to Tigers - Swift Current Broncos
- Blazers' Hex on Cougars Continues - Prince George Cougars
- Wheat Kings Edge ICE 7-5 in High Scoring Affair - Kootenay Ice
- Rockets Take Down Top-Ranked Raiders - Kelowna Rockets
- Wedman Hat Trick Leads T-Birds to Win on Fred Meyer Teddy Bear Toss Night - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Beck Warm Remains Perfect in Shootouts with Victory over Chiefs - Tri-City Americans
- Longo's Last Minute Heriocs Help Tigers Win 5-3 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Chiefs Pick up Point But Drop Game in Shootout Loss to Americans - Spokane Chiefs
- Update on Chiefs Forward Cordel Larson - Spokane Chiefs
- Blades Nabb Weekend Sweep over Pats - Saskatoon Blades
- Koch's OT Winner Extends the Giants Winning Streak to Six - Vancouver Giants
- Raiders Earn Point In Shootout Loss To Rockets - Prince Albert Raiders
- Portland Blows Open Close Game in Third - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Fall Short to Thunderbirds - Victoria Royals
- Canes' Netminder Tetachuk Outstanding in 2-1 Win over Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Hitmen Stories
- Hitmen Defenceman Luke Prokop Selected by Nashville in 2020 NHL Draft
- Hitmen Select Two Players in 2020 CHL Import Draft
- Hitmen to Make Two Picks in Tuesday's 2020 CHL Import Draft
- Hitmen Sign Prospect Tristan Zandee
- Hitmen Forward Riley Fiddler-Schultz Receives Doug Wickenheiser Memorial Trophy Presented by Kia