Bisons Sweep Doubleheader from PawSox
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - For the second time this season, the Pawtucket Red Sox (6-6) dropped both games of a doubleheader, dropping both contests with the Buffalo Bisons (4-8) Tuesday at McCoy Stadium, the first by a 2-1 final, and the night cap by a final of 5-4.
In game one, Buffalo scored the game's first run in the top half of the second inning on a sacrifice fly off the bat of Cavan Biggio.
The PawSox tied the game in the bottom of the fourth. Jantzen Witte was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to bring home the tying run.
Buffalo regained the lead in the sixth. With one out, Anthony Alford walked, stole second and third base, and then scored on a wild pitch to put Buffalo in front 2-1.
With two down in the bottom of the seventh, Tzu Wei Lin lined a double to left-center, but was thrown out at the third base to end the game.
In the first game of his rehab assignment, Brock Holt went 0-for-2 and drew a walk. Holt saw 15 pitches in three plate appearances. In the field, Holt was also part of all three putouts in the top half of the first inning at shortstop.
PawSox starter Mike Shawaryn fired his second quality start of the season. He went 6 innings surrendering 6 hits, but allowed only 2 earned runs, 1 walk, and he struck out 6.
In game two (and playing for the first time this season as the Osos Polares), Pawtucket struck first in the second inning. In his first at bat of the season, Jake Romanski lined a two-run double to open the scoring. Two batters later, Mike Miller hit a two-run home run over the right field wall. Miller has now reached base in all ten games he has played this season.
The Bisons began their comeback in the sixth inning, grabbing a run on an RBI single from Cavan Biggio.
Buffalo took the lead in the seventh inning against Jenrry Mejia. With the bases loaded and Roemon Field at the plate, Patrick Cantwell scored on a wild pitch. Bo Bichette hit a sacrifice fly to plate Gunnar Heidt. Then, Richard Urena lined a two-run single to center to put Buffalo in front 5-4.
Domingo Tapia got the spot start in game two, and he was excellent. Tapia tossed 3 scoreless innings, allowing only 1 hit and striking out 3.
The PawSox wrap up their series with the Bisons on Wednesday at 6:05 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Chandler Shepherd (0-2, 5.23 ERA) is scheduled to oppose Bisons righty Sean Reid-Foley (0-1, 20.25 ERA). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 5:35 p.m.
The seven-game homestand at McCoy Stadium runs Thursday-Wednesday (April 11-17). Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 16, 2019
- Bats Ride the Long-Ball to Sail Past Clippers, 9-7 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Rally to Top Stripers 10-6 in 11 - Charlotte Knights
- Wings Split Pair with Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Sweep PawSox Tuesday in Dramatic Fashion - Buffalo Bisons
- Pitching Dominates as Mets and Red Wings Split Doubleheader on Tuesday - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Sweep Doubleheader from PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders Postponed - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Columbus Clippers (7-4) at Louisville Bats (5-7) - Louisville Bats
- Introducing: Your Toledo Stingers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Burrows Fans Five in Loss to Indians - Toledo Mud Hens
- Weiss' Big Day Makes Tribe 4-3 Winner - Indianapolis Indians
- Doubleheader Tuesday at Frontier Field - Rochester Red Wings
- Bulls Game Rescheduled for June 1 - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket, DH (4:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- New this Summer: Holy Toledo Rooftop Sessions - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (7-4) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (5-6) - Indianapolis Indians
- Indians Ruff up Hens on Bark in the Park Night, 9-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Pigs Fall in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.