Bisons Get the Job Done in 11-8 Win over Louisville
Over the course of a 140-game season, there are going to some games that aren't most crisply-played affairs. All that really matters is you win more of those than you lose.
The Bisons have had the winning touch of late and that may have been the deciding factor in an 11-8 victory over the Louisville Bats on Saturday night at Louisvlle Slugger Field. In a game that lasted nearly three and a half hours and featured a combined 29 hits, nine walks, three errors and 21 men left on base, the Herd scored in six consecutive innings to secure their seventh win in their last nine games.
The Bisons got their offense going in the third as they were trailing 2-0 after one of Aristides Aquino's two, two-run homers on the night. Roemon Fields singled with the first of his three hits on the night and scored when Jonathan Davis doubled to left. Buffalo then tied the game when Bats starter Brad Markey balked home Davis from third.
Billy McKinney's sacrifice fly in the fourth gave Buffalo the lead and Alen Hanson gave the Bisons some much needed cushion in the fifth when he launched a three-run home run out to right.
Buffalo pushed across another pair of runs in the sixth as the advantage grew to 8-2. McKinney's walk and singles from Socrates Brito and Andy Burns loaded the bases so that a run could score on Reese McGuire's ground out. Richard Urena then doubled to right to score Brito.
The Herd even led 9-3 in the seventh when the game really got interesting. Five consecutive Bats reached base after Dusty Isaacs got the first out in the bottom half of the seventh. Aquino's second home run of the game made it 9-5 and former Bison Rob Refsnyder doubled home a run to narrow the gap to three. He then scored on Alberti Chavez's single to knock Isaacs from the game.
As the rally continued, Christian Colon drew a bases-loaded walk as the Buffalo advantage was trimmed from six to one. However, Zach Jackson was able to strike out Brian O'Grady to end the threat and preserve the lead.
The Bisons were able to add two insurances runs in the eighth. Hansen picked up his fourth RBI of the game by beating out a potential inning-ending doubleplay with runners on the corner. Fields then pulled a double into right field for the Bisons' 11th tally of the night.
Fields finished the game 3-for-5 with and RBI, while Brito , Urena and Jordan Patterson all also had three hits in the contest. Every Bisons batter reached base safely and seven different hitters drove in runs.
Taylor Saucedo earned the win in relief by allowing just an unearned run in 2.2 innings of work. He is now 4-0 for the Herd this season, one short of Jackson's team-high five victories. Buddy Boshers struck out all three batters he faced in the ninth for his third save of the season.
Conor Fisk started for the Bisons and allowed two runs in 3.1 innings of a no-decision.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Candelario, Rogers Homer Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Get the Job Done in 11-8 Win over Louisville - Buffalo Bisons
- Mazza, Mets Shut out Stripers, 5-0, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Falls Short in High-Scoring Affair, 11-8 - Louisville Bats
- Syracuse Blanks Gwinnett, 5-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights and Red Wings Suspended on Saturday from Rochester - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings, Knights Suspended Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bulls Blank RailRiders, 2-0 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Blank RailRiders in Front of Record Crowd - Durham Bulls
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs Game Recap - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox and Indians Rained out Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indians-Red Sox to Play Sunday Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-30) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (29-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (30-35) at Louisville Bats (27-40) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (6:30 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Agrazal's Contract Selected by Pittsburgh, Debuting Tonight in Miami - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Game Sold out Saturday Night - Durham Bulls
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Blue Jays Sign Richard Urena, Two Others to Minor League Deals
- Bob Costas Headlines 'The Seasons of Buffalo Baseball 1857-2020' Book Launch on December 8
- Former Bison Coach Carl Willis Keeps Churning out Cy Young Pitchers
- Buy Camo & Support Our Vets
- Roberts Latest Former Bison to Win World Series