Syracuse Blanks Gwinnett, 5-0
SYRACUSE, NY - The Syracuse Mets (33-35) shut out the Gwinnett Stripers (37-30) by a 5-0 score on Saturday night in game two of the three-game series at NBT Bank Stadium. A game after tallying a season-high 17 hits in an 11-4 win on Friday, the Stripers were held to a season-low two hits.
Scoring Recap: The Mets scored four runs in the bottom of the fourth inning off Gwinnett starting pitcher Ben Rowen. An error by Rowen on a pickoff attempt at second base allowed the first run to score. Rene Rivera followed with an RBI single, and Dilson Herrera (13) drilled a two-run home run to right-center for a 4-0 lead. The fifth run came off reliever Shane Carle in the bottom of the fifth as Ruben Tejada delivered a two-out RBI single to right.
Stripers Stats: Rowen (L, 4-3) made a spot start in place of Huascar Ynoa, who had been recalled by Atlanta earlier in the day. He went 3.2 innings with four earned runs on four hits, one walk, and two strikeouts. Carle gave up one run on four hits in 2.1 innings and struck out four. Jonathan Aro worked the final 2.0 innings without allowing a baserunner. Luis Marte and Jack Lopez each went 1-for-3 with singles.
Mets Stats: Chris Mazza (W, 3-2) pitched 8.0 innings with two hits, one walk, and eight strikeouts. Stephen Nogosek worked a scoreless ninth with two strikeouts. At the plate, Tejada and Rivera were each 2-for-4 with an RBI. Herrera was 1-for-4 with a homer and two RBIs.
Postgame Notes: Rafael Ortega went 0-for-3 to halt his 23-game on-base streak and his 10-game hitting streak. The Stripers are now 3-3 (.500) in shutout decisions this season and fall to 2-3 on the current road trip.
Next Game (Sunday, June 16): Gwinnett at Syracuse, 1:05 p.m. at NBT Bank Stadium. RHP Bryse Wilson (3-6, 3.80 ERA) for the Stripers vs. TBD for the Mets. Radio Broadcast: 12:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Candelario, Rogers Homer Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Get the Job Done in 11-8 Win over Louisville - Buffalo Bisons
- Mazza, Mets Shut out Stripers, 5-0, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Falls Short in High-Scoring Affair, 11-8 - Louisville Bats
- Syracuse Blanks Gwinnett, 5-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights and Red Wings Suspended on Saturday from Rochester - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings, Knights Suspended Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bulls Blank RailRiders, 2-0 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Blank RailRiders in Front of Record Crowd - Durham Bulls
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs Game Recap - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox and Indians Rained out Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indians-Red Sox to Play Sunday Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-30) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (29-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (30-35) at Louisville Bats (27-40) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (6:30 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Agrazal's Contract Selected by Pittsburgh, Debuting Tonight in Miami - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Game Sold out Saturday Night - Durham Bulls
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers "Veterans Pack" Returns for Veterans Day
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule