Lehigh Valley IronPigs Game Recap
(Allentown, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (32-33) fall under .500 for just the third time this season as they lost 9-1 to the Columbus Clippers (39-28) on Saturday night.
IronPigs starting pitcher Alexis Rivero (2-2)pitched strong in his spot start as he allowed just one run through four innings while recording five strikeouts. The lone run he allowed was in the top of the fourth inning as Greg Allen scored on an RBI groundout by Daniel Johnson.
Jose Taveras made his return to Lehigh Valley for the first time since 2017 but pitched into some trouble. He gave up a two-run home run to Eric Stamets in the top of the fifth inning to give Columbus a 3-0 lead.
Two more runs were added to the Clippers lead in the top of the sixth inning as Eric Haase hit an RBI single and Brandon Barnes hit a solo home run. Taveras left the game allowing four runs in 1 2/3 innings. Columbus led 5-0 heading into the bottom of the sixth inning.
Jan Hernandez hit an RBI single off Asher Wojciechowski (7-2) in the bottom of the sixth inning to cut the Clippers lead to 5-1. It would be the lone run Wojciechowski would allow in seven innings pitched.
Columbus scored three runs off John Curtiss in the top of the seventh inning to extend their lead to 8-1 as Barnes hit a three-run home run with two outs. Columbus scored their ninth run of the game off Kyle Dohy in the top of the ninth inning as Barnes hit an RBI double.
The IronPigs and Clippers wrap up their series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 1:35 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Candelario, Rogers Homer Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Get the Job Done in 11-8 Win over Louisville - Buffalo Bisons
- Mazza, Mets Shut out Stripers, 5-0, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Louisville Falls Short in High-Scoring Affair, 11-8 - Louisville Bats
- Syracuse Blanks Gwinnett, 5-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights and Red Wings Suspended on Saturday from Rochester - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings, Knights Suspended Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bulls Blank RailRiders, 2-0 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Blank RailRiders in Front of Record Crowd - Durham Bulls
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs Game Recap - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox and Indians Rained out Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indians-Red Sox to Play Sunday Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-30) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (29-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (30-35) at Louisville Bats (27-40) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (6:30 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Agrazal's Contract Selected by Pittsburgh, Debuting Tonight in Miami - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Game Sold out Saturday Night - Durham Bulls
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.