Bisons Fall to Rochester, 10-2, in Second-To-Last Home Game
Red Wings catcher Tomas Telis drove in three runs, including a pair in Rochester's five-run fourth inning, as the Bisons lost 10-2, Wednesday night at Sahlen Field.
Playing as the 'Buffalo Wings' for the final time in 2019, the Bisons were held to just one extra-base hit and never led in the second-to-last home game in the season.
Rochester scored solo runs in the first and second inning before busting the game open with the five-run fourth inning. The Wings sent 10 batters to the plate, knocking out Herd starter Sean Reid-Foley after loading the bases on a pair of singles and a hit batter to start the frame. Ramon Flores then hit a two-run single to center off reliever Conor Fisk to give the Wings a 4-1 lead.
Three batters later and with the bases loaded again, Telis looped a soft liner into right field to cash in two more. Zander Wiel's sacrifice fly wrapped up the five-run frame, giving Rochester an insurmountable 7-1 advantage.
Telis finished off his solid night at the plate with a sac fly in the sixth. The Red Wings scored two more runs in the ninth inning to reach double digits.
Trailing 2-0 early, the Bisons cut into that lead with a run in the bottom of the third inning. Santiago Espinal doubled into the left-centerfield gap with one out and then scored on an RBI-single from Jonathan Davis.
The Bisons rally in the third inning came to an unfortunate abrupt end two batters later. Following a walk by Socrates Brito, Davis got a huge jump to steal third base. Rochester's Willians Astudillo was late covering the bag and Telis' throw actually hit Davis in the face. The outfielder had to leave the with the injury to his mouth.
On the next pitch after the injury delay, Richard Urena fouled out with two runners in scoring position to end the scoring chance.
Buffalo added an unearned run in the ninth inning Espinal singled with one out and scored when pitcher Ryne Harper missed a catch covering the first base bag that could have ended the game.
In the loss, Reid-Foley fell to 3-5 on the season. He allowed five runs on six hits in three-plus innings
The Bisons have just one home game left this season, Thursday's Fan Appreciation Night at the ballpark. Before the Bisons game against the Red Wings at 7 p.m., the gates will open for one last Resurgence Brewing Happy Hour with $3 craft beers from 5-6:30 p.m. The game will also feature giveaways every inning as well as one of the largest Fireworks Shows of the season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Wings Trounce Bisons 10-2 Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Stripers Clinch Playoff Spot with 14-8 Rout of Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Fall to Rochester, 10-2, in Second-To-Last Home Game - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Drop Home Finale to Bulls 3-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Bats Slug Their Way to History and Collect Fourth Straight Win, 9-5 - Louisville Bats
- Mets Blast IronPigs, 8-3, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mets lineup shows its case in win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indy Pounds 11 Hits, Drops Toledo 7-4 to Win Season Series - Indianapolis Indians
- Mahtook Ups Home Run Total in Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Pawtucket Postponed - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- LHP Lewis Thorpe optioned by Minnesota - Rochester Red Wings
- Bulls Host Final Four Games Labor Day Weekend - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (64-70) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (64-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Fan Appreciation Day Is Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Lose in Buffalo, 5-3, Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Blue Jays Sign Richard Urena, Two Others to Minor League Deals
- Bob Costas Headlines 'The Seasons of Buffalo Baseball 1857-2020' Book Launch on December 8
- Former Bison Coach Carl Willis Keeps Churning out Cy Young Pitchers
- Buy Camo & Support Our Vets
- Roberts Latest Former Bison to Win World Series