Bisons Drop Season Finale in Syracuse, 2-0
The Bisons season came to an end on Monday afternoon with a 2-0 loss to the Syracuse Chiefs from NBT Bank Stadium. The Herd was held to just three hits, including only one over the first eight innings of the contest, to drop their modern-era record 11th consecutive game.
With the defeat, the Herd finished the 2018 season with a 61-76 record.It's a tough way for the season to end for a Bisons club that was in first place in the International League North Division into May before injuries at the big league level and in Buffalo contributed to the slide down the standings.
Following Vladimir Guerrero Jr's two-out double in the first inning on Monday, the next 15 Bisons were set down in order. Buffalo had just four base runners in the entire game, with one of those runners erased when Guerrero bounced into a game-ending 6-4-3 doubleplay.
Syracuse's Kyle McGowin struck out five over five innings to improve to 3-2 on the season. The strong outing allowed the righty to finish his eight-game stint with the Chiefs with a 1.20 ERA this season.
Shawn Morimando was tough for the Bisons as well, allowing just two runs on six hits over six innings of work. He didn't issue a walk, but gave up Chris Dominguez's solo home run on the first pitch of the bottom of the third inning. Matt Reynold's followed Victor Robles' double with single back up the middle to give Syracuse their other run.
The Bisons will now have to wait until Opening Day 2019 to put an end to their losing streak. The Herd hosts the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders on Thursday, April 4.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 3, 2018
- The Setup: Regular Season Wraps up this Afternoon - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Enter Playoffs off 5-1 Victory Monday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Iribarren Plays All Nine Positions in Bats Finale - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Drop Season Finale in Syracuse, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Devers Collects Two Hits in Pawtucket's Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall 4-2 in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Blank Bats in Season Finale, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers End 2018 Season with 6-1 Loss to Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 2018 Regular Season Finale 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Pigs Take the Finale in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Take Down Tides in Season Finale - Durham Bulls
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 3 - Louisville Bats
- Positive Mindset, Faith Lead Indians' Tyler Eppler - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - September 3, 2017 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-67) at Louisville Bats (61-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.