Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (1:05 p.m.)
Buffalo Bisons (61-76, 6th (-21.0), North) vs. Syracuse Chiefs (63-76, 5th (-20.0), North)
Monday, September 3rd, 2018 (1:05 p.m.) - NBT Bank Stadium
LHP Shawn Morimando (2-5, 6.34) vs. RHP Kyle McGowin (2-2, 1.32)
Radio: ESPN 1520 AM, Bisons.com
The Bisons conclude the 2018 season this afternoon in Syracuse against the Chiefs. The Labor Day matchup is the 18th overall on the season between the Thruway Cup rivals, with Syracuse looking to split the season series with a win.
Last Game: BUF 3, SYR 4
The Bisons have lost all three games of the series, on Sunday coming within a run before falling in defeat. RHP Jacob Waguespack tossed 6.2IP, dropping his fourth decision in a Bisons' uniform (9H, 4R, 1ER, 2BB, 4SO). INF Richard Urena and 3B Vladimir Guerrero Jr. each hit solo home runs, while Buffalo scored one run in the ninth as well.
Syracuse Chiefs (9-8)
The Chiefs are one of four teams the Bisons have a winning record against this season and the only team in their division. Buffalo needs one win in the final series of the season to clinch the 2018 series victory against their Thruway Cup rivals.
Today's Starter: LHP Shawn Morimando
LHP Shawn Morimando will start the 2018 season finale for the Bisons, making his fourth start since joining the Herd on August 18. Morimando picked up his first win for Buffalo on August 24 against Pawtucket (5IP, 7H, 3R/ER, 0BB, 1S0). The left hander began the season with the Columbus Clippers, and is making his 13th overall start this year.
INF Richard Urena has a hit in all three games in the series at Syracuse. Urena is 5-12 (.417) with three doubles and three RBIs.
OF Roemon Fields belted his second home run of the season with a solo HR in the sixth inning on Sunday. Fields was 2-4 in the game, collecting his 27th RBI of the year in the loss.
Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
3B Vladimir Guerrero Jr. smacked his sixth Triple-A home run in Sunday's defeat. It was the first road HR for Guerrero Jr., and 20th combined between New Hampshire (14) and Buffalo (6).
RHP Conor Fisk worked 1.1IP on Sunday in relief. Fisk did not allow a run, finishing 2018 with four out of his last five appearances scoreless.
OF Anthony Alford had one more hit on Sunday. Alford has now hit safely in five games in a row (8-17), with three multi-hit games as well.
The Bisons are a combined 17-17 against Syracuse and Rochester this season. Buffalo and the Red Wings (19-18) are tied for the Thruway Cup, with the Herd needing a win today to clinch the trophy for the first time since 2013.
The Herd has made 257 total roster moves in 2018, with 73 different players appearing in a game for Buffalo as well. The team has tied their record for most players in a season during the Blue Jays affiliation, which was set in 2014, while establishing a new high for transactions in a single season. The Bisons made 239 roster moves in 2014.
Blue Jays Update
Toronto (62-74) took the rubber match of their three-game series against the Marlins with a 6-1 win on Sunday. RHP Sean Reid-Foley collected his first Major League win, going seven innings with 10 strikeouts. OF Teoscar Hernandez belted a three-run home run to help propel the Blue Jays to the win. Toronto now begins a seven-game homestand, first greeting the Tampa Bay Rays. RHP Sam Gaviglio is slated to start. After three against the Rays, the Cleveland Indians visit Rogers Centre for a four-game set.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 3, 2018
- The Setup: Regular Season Wraps up this Afternoon - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Enter Playoffs off 5-1 Victory Monday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Iribarren Plays All Nine Positions in Bats Finale - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Drop Season Finale in Syracuse, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Devers Collects Two Hits in Pawtucket's Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall 4-2 in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Blank Bats in Season Finale, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers End 2018 Season with 6-1 Loss to Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 2018 Regular Season Finale 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Pigs Take the Finale in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Take Down Tides in Season Finale - Durham Bulls
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 3 - Louisville Bats
- Positive Mindset, Faith Lead Indians' Tyler Eppler - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - September 3, 2017 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-67) at Louisville Bats (61-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons GM Mike Buczkowski Named 2019 International League "Executive of the Year"
- 'Ballpark Brew Bash' Craft Beer Festival Returns to Sahlen Field September 21
- Ballpark Golf Returns with â??The Sahlen Field Links' September 18-20
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.)