Indians Blank Bats in Season Finale, 4-0
LOUISVILLE, KY - Tyler Eppler three-hit the Bats over 7.0 shutout frames as the Indians earned a 4-0 win in Louisville on Monday, snapping a five-game Labor Day losing streak. All four of Indy's runs came via the long ball; Wyatt Mathisen homered in the fourth and Erich Weiss cranked a three-run shot in the sixth.
Eliminated from postseason contention on Sunday night, the Indians (73-67) showed heart in the season finale behind their ace. Eppler set the tone early, retiring the first nine batters he faced on just 24 total pitches. He struck out the side to end the third and didn't allow a baserunner until Hernan Iribarren worked a leadoff walk in the fourth. Louisville (61-76) didn't record a base hit until Steve Selsky singled up the middle to open the fifth.
Mathisen's ninth home run of the season led off the top half of the fourth. Two innings later, Weiss lined his fifth blast of 2018 over the right-field wall to make it 4-0.
The Bats' biggest threat came in the seventh, but Eppler struck out both Valentin Martinez and Nick Longhi to strand runners at the corners. Eppler (W, 13-6) walked one, fanned six and became the first Indians pitcher with 13 wins in a season since Rick van den Hurk in 2012.
Casey Sadler worked a 1-2-3 eighth before Montana DuRapau pitched a scoreless ninth to complete Indy's league-high 15th shutout.
Mathisen had three of the Tribe's eight hits.
Iribarren, 34, played all nine positions. His pitching appearance came in the fifth against Eppler, who reached safely on an infield single to first. The hit was Eppler's third of the season, the most on the staff.
Jose Lopez (L, 5-13) was charged with four earned runs on six hits in 6.0 innings of work. He walked one and struck out seven.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 3, 2018
- The Setup: Regular Season Wraps up this Afternoon - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Enter Playoffs off 5-1 Victory Monday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Iribarren Plays All Nine Positions in Bats Finale - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Drop Season Finale in Syracuse, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Devers Collects Two Hits in Pawtucket's Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall 4-2 in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Blank Bats in Season Finale, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers End 2018 Season with 6-1 Loss to Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 2018 Regular Season Finale 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Pigs Take the Finale in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Take Down Tides in Season Finale - Durham Bulls
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 3 - Louisville Bats
- Positive Mindset, Faith Lead Indians' Tyler Eppler - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - September 3, 2017 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-67) at Louisville Bats (61-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- That's Marvel-Ous: Big Game James to Make MLB Debut Today
- Four Indians Headed to Pittsburgh as September Call-Ups
- Ten Takeaways from Indy's 2019 Season
- Marvel Earns Another Win as Indians Blank Bats, 4-0
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80)