Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Chiefs never trailed, combining stellar pitching performances with timely hitting en route to a 2-0 victory over the Buffalo Bisons in front of a crowd of more than 5,800 at NBT Bank Stadium in the 2018 season finale. The win completed a Chiefs sweep of the Bisons and was the seventh win for the Chiefs over the last nine games of the season.
Syracuse (64-76) scored both of the game's runs in the bottom of the third inning against Buffalo starting pitcher Shawn Morimando. Chris Dominguez led off with frame by taking the first pitch thrown to him and launching it over the right-center field wall for a solo home run that gave the Chiefs a 1-0 lead. Three batters later, with two outs, Victor Robles doubled to the left-field wall. Matt Reynolds followed with a hard-hit single up the middle that brought home Robles for a 2-0 Syracuse advantage.
Buffalo (61-77) was stymied by the Syracuse pitching staff. Chiefs starter Kyle McGowin retired 15 of the 16 batters he faced in five innings pitched with five strikeouts. Brady Dragmire then came in relief and allowed just one baserunner in two scoreless frames. Chris Smith pitched a one-two-three eighth inning, and Carlos Torres closed out the game with a scoreless ninth to secure the win for Syracuse.
The Chiefs finished the 2018 season with a 64-76 record, including a 23-14 record since July 27th: the second-best record in the International League since that date. Syracuse outhit opponents in 14 of the last 16 games, securing an 11-5 record over that stretch.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 3, 2018
- The Setup: Regular Season Wraps up this Afternoon - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Enter Playoffs off 5-1 Victory Monday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Iribarren Plays All Nine Positions in Bats Finale - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Drop Season Finale in Syracuse, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Devers Collects Two Hits in Pawtucket's Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall 4-2 in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Blank Bats in Season Finale, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers End 2018 Season with 6-1 Loss to Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 2018 Regular Season Finale 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Pigs Take the Finale in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Take Down Tides in Season Finale - Durham Bulls
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 3 - Louisville Bats
- Positive Mindset, Faith Lead Indians' Tyler Eppler - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - September 3, 2017 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-67) at Louisville Bats (61-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets See Huge Jump in Attendance During the 2019 Season
- Syracuse Mets End Season with Heartbreaking 14-13 Loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in One-Game Playoff
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title
- Syracuse Keeps Playoff Hope Alive with 7-3 Win against Rochester
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night