RailRiders Enter Playoffs off 5-1 Victory Monday
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - On the back of two home runs and six strong innings from Michael King, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders finished the regular season with a 5-1 win Monday afternoon against the Pawtucket Red Sox
The PawSox took a 1-0 lead in the home half of the first. Pawtucket loaded the bases on two hits and a fielder's choice. Anuery Taverez scored on a fielder's choice and an error for the early tally. After the first, RailRiders starter Mike King settled in, walking a batter in the second before retiring the next 11 consecutive batters.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre evened the score in the top of the fourth with two down. Wilkin Castillo hit a 0-1 pitch over the right field wall to tie the game at one. It was Castillo's second home run of the season and his first in 78 at-bats since July 5. The RailRiders added more offense in the 6th and 7th innings to grow their lead to 3-1 entering the 9th inning.
In the top of the 9th inning, Matthew Gorst retired the first two men before allowing a single to Mark Payton. That set the stage for L.J. Mazzilli who clubbed his seventh homer of the season and made it a 5-1 lead entering the final half inning for RHP Brady Lail.
RailRiders pitching was outstanding all afternoon long, holding Pawtucket to just two hits after the first inning. Chance Adams, David Sosebee and Brady Lail came out of the bullpen to toss three innings of scoreless, one-hit ball to seal the victory. King was excellent again in his start, collecting his fourth win of the season in five starts with SWB, ending the regular season with a 1.15 ERA.
The 2018 regular season has concluded and the 2018 International League postseason begins Wednesday night at PNC Field against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. First pitch Wednesday night is set for 6:35 p.m. with pregame coverage set for 6:05 p.m. For additional information on tickets and game times, please head to www.swbrailriders.com.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 3, 2018
- The Setup: Regular Season Wraps up this Afternoon - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Enter Playoffs off 5-1 Victory Monday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Iribarren Plays All Nine Positions in Bats Finale - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Drop Season Finale in Syracuse, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Devers Collects Two Hits in Pawtucket's Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall 4-2 in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Blank Bats in Season Finale, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers End 2018 Season with 6-1 Loss to Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 2018 Regular Season Finale 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Pigs Take the Finale in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Take Down Tides in Season Finale - Durham Bulls
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 3 - Louisville Bats
- Positive Mindset, Faith Lead Indians' Tyler Eppler - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - September 3, 2017 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-67) at Louisville Bats (61-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.