SWB Game Notes
SCRANTON/WILKES-BARRE RAILRIDERS (72-65) vs. PAWTUCKET RED SOX (66-72)
| Game 138 | September 3, 2018 | McCoy Stadium | Pawtucket, RI |
| First Pitch 1:35 p.m. | Pregame Show 1:05 p.m. |
LAST TIME OUT: PAWTUCKET, R.I. - Baseball seasons are long. Games in April and May don't seem to matter in the larger scope of the season as teams grind through the heat of the summer. Yet with only one game awaiting them Monday, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders used a 3-2 win over the Pawtucket Red Sox -- and some help around the rest of the International League - to secure the IL Wild Card. Entering the day, SWB needed Toledo to beat Columbus and Louisville to beat Indianapolis in order to give them a chance for a win-and-get-in victory. With Toledo knocking off Columbus 10-5 earlier in the afternoon, and Louisville gradually growing a lead en route to a 10-2 win over the Indians, that left the onus on Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
It was a beautiful Sunday night at McCoy Stadium, and before a crowd of 10,769 the PawSox jumped out to a 2-0 lead on the back of a pair of two-out RBI singles in the 4th inning off Adonis Rosa. Entering the top of the 5th inning, the RailRiders offense had been held without a baserunner. It had been 12-up and 12-down off Josh A. Smith before SWB caught a break with a strikeout/wild pitch allowing the first man of the night to reach with one out in the inning. Bruce Caldwell immediately followed with a single to put runners at the corners. With two outs, Devyn Bolasky continued his clutch hitting and delivered a single to plate Zack Zehner to cut the deficit in half, 2-1.
The next man up was Wilkin Castillo who hit a towering fly ball into the setting night sky. Cole Sturgeon never saw the ball off the bat and as he charged in toward the infield it landed behind him plating both runners and giving Castillo his first triple in affiliated ball since 9/1/2012 when he was playing for Triple-A Colorado Springs. The sequence turned a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: Entering play Sunday evening, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre could clinch the Wild Card with a victory and some help. The RailRiders needed to win, have Toledo beat Columbus and Louisville top Indianapolis -- and that is exactly how the night played out. By the time the RailRiders capped their 3-2 win, Toledo had already won 10-5 from an afternoon game and Louisville knocked off Indianapolis 10-2.
KING CROWNED IL PITCHER OF THE MONTH: RailRiders RHP Michael King was named the International League Player-of-the-Month for August. The right-hander went 3-0 with a 1.09 ERA in five starts in the month, which were also his first five career Triple-A appearances. King allowed only 17 hits on the month, holding opponents to a .149 batting average, while striking out 27 and walking four in 33.0 IP. 2018 marks the third straight year that the RailRiders have had an IL Player-of-the-Month, joining Aaron Judge in June of 2016 and Jake Cave in July of 2017. King is the first SWB pitcher to claim the award since Brandon Duckworth in July of the 2001 Red Barons season. King is expected to get the start for the RailRiders in the regular season finale Monday afternoon.
ROSTER EXPANSIONS: The New York Yankees grabbed three players from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders when the MLB rosters expanded on Saturday. RHP Luis Cessa and INF/OF Tyler Wade were both recalled to the big league roster, while LHP Stephen Tarpley was signed to an MLB contract and was selected from the RailRiders roster. To compensate for the roster losses, the RailRiders received RHPs Adonis Rosa and David Sosebee along with INF Bruce Caldwell from Double-A Trenton.
COMING THROUGH, ACQUIRING CUTCH: The New York Yankees acquired OF Andrew McCutchen from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for INF Abiatal Avelino and RHP Juan De Paula from the Staten Island Yankees. Since July 24, there have been seven players traded by the Yankees directly off the RailRiders roster: RHP Cody Carroll, LHP Josh Rogers, RHP Billy McKinney, LHP Caleb Frare, INF/OF Tyler Austin, RHP Giovanny Galllegos, and INF Abiatal Avelino. Since the start of the season, there are now 18 players who have appeared in a game for the RailRiders who are no longer part of the Yankees organization: Cody Asche, Tyler Austin, Abiatal Avelino, Daniel Camarena, Cody Carroll, Vince Conde, Cesar Diaz, Brandon Drury, Caleb Frare, Gio Gallegos, David Hale, Erik Kratz, Adam Lind, Billy McKinney, Oliver Perez, Jace Peterson, Josh Rogers. Adam Warren.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 3, 2018
- The Setup: Regular Season Wraps up this Afternoon - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Enter Playoffs off 5-1 Victory Monday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Iribarren Plays All Nine Positions in Bats Finale - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Drop Season Finale in Syracuse, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Devers Collects Two Hits in Pawtucket's Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall 4-2 in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Blank Bats in Season Finale, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers End 2018 Season with 6-1 Loss to Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 2018 Regular Season Finale 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Pigs Take the Finale in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Take Down Tides in Season Finale - Durham Bulls
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 3 - Louisville Bats
- Positive Mindset, Faith Lead Indians' Tyler Eppler - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - September 3, 2017 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-67) at Louisville Bats (61-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Stop PawSox
- SWB Game Notes
- Pair of three-run home runs lead RailRiders to victory over Pawtucket
- Logan Morrison goes 3-for-5 with two homers and a double in losing effort
- SWB Partnering with GovX for Military Discounts