Pigs Take the Finale in Extras
The IronPigs wrapped up the 2018 regular season schedule with a 4-2 extra innings win against Rochester. The Pigs are off tomorrow but begin the Governor's Cup Playoffs in Moosic on Wednesday night.
Ranger Suarez allowed just one run in the bottom of the first inning in his final regular season start of the year. Suarez allowed four hits and walked two while striking out three. Tom Windle and Ranfi Casimiro (4-1) who in three innings of relief allowed just one hit and struck out three bridging the game to extras backed up his start.
The IronPigs tied the score at one in the top of the fifth inning against Chad De Jong. Ryan Goins who was 1-3 in the game lifted a sacrifice fly to center field to tie the game at one.
Each team remained scoreless from that point on and played free baseball at Frontier Field. Danny Ortiz was placed at second base to begin the top of the tenth and Zach Green shot an opposite field double passed the dive of right-fielder Jon Kemmer to give the IronPigs a 2-1 lead in extras against Ryne Harper (0-3).
Lehigh Valley got insurance in the tenth against Harper. After the Green double, Nick Rickles snuck a single up the middle to put Lehigh Valley up 3-1. JP Crawford who extended his hitting streak to eight games earlier in the game singled to right to score Rickles and make it 4-1 IronPigs.
Casimiro came back out for his third inning for work to shut the door in the finale. He was charged with an unearned run but recorded the three outs needed to give the IronPigs their 84th win of the year.
The Govenor's Cup begins Wednesday night at PNC Field. The first two games will be played in Moosic before returning to Coca-Cola Park.
The IronPigs will return to Coca-Cola Park on Friday, September 7 for Game 3 of the IL-Divisional Round. Don't forget to wear red to support the Pigs throughout the playoffs, which are presented by Provident Bank. Before the game, 5,000 guests will receive an IronPigs rally towel presented by Service Electric Cable TV & Communications. Following the game, enjoy a special postgame fireworks display. Get tickets at IronPigsBaseball.com.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, go to IronPigsBaseball.com or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 3, 2018
- The Setup: Regular Season Wraps up this Afternoon - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Enter Playoffs off 5-1 Victory Monday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Iribarren Plays All Nine Positions in Bats Finale - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Drop Season Finale in Syracuse, 2-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Devers Collects Two Hits in Pawtucket's Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall 4-2 in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Blank Bats in Season Finale, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers End 2018 Season with 6-1 Loss to Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 2018 Regular Season Finale 6-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Pigs Take the Finale in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Take Down Tides in Season Finale - Durham Bulls
- Red Wings Announce 2018 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 3 - Louisville Bats
- Positive Mindset, Faith Lead Indians' Tyler Eppler - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - September 3, 2017 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-67) at Louisville Bats (61-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.