Atlanta United re-signs Rocco Ríos Novo to Short Term Agreement
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has re-signed Atlanta United 2 goalkeeper Rocco Ríos Novo to a Short-Term Agreement ahead of the club's 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 Second Leg match against LD Alajuelense. The match is scheduled to kick-off from Fifth Third Bank Stadium Tuesday, April 13, at 6:00 p.m. (FS1, TUDN) with Atlanta leading on aggregate 1-0.
This will be Ríos Novo's second short term agreement. MLS clubs may sign a player to a maximum of four short term agreements each season (maximum of 16 days). Per MLS rule, the four-day contract allows clubs to sign players on loan from their USL affiliate for U.S. Open Cup, CONCACAF Champions League, AMWAY Canadian Championship and exhibition matches.
Ríos Novo, 18, signed his first Short Term Agreement on April 5 and ultimately made his club debut the following day, coming on in first half stoppage time after Brad Guzan was given a red card. Ríos Novo made six saves, setting the club's single game CCL record, and was named the Man of the Match as Atlanta United secured a crucial 1-0 road win.
On loan from Lanús, Ríos Novo signed with Atlanta United 2 on March 2. He was born in Los Angeles, California but moved to Argentina at a young age where he joined Lanús' youth academy. He has been a fixture with Argentina's Youth National Teams representing the U-15s and the U-17s. He was the starting goalkeeper during the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup and the 2019 South American U-17 Championship, where Argentina won its fourth title as Ríos Novo collected five clean sheets in eight matches.
Name: Rocco Ríos Novo
Birthdate: June 4, 2002 (18)
Birthplace: Los Angeles, California
Citizenship: United States, Argentina
Transaction: Signed a four-day Short-Term Agreement with Atlanta United on April 13, 2021
2021 Atlanta United roster (as of April 13, 2021)
Goalkeepers (4): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Ben Lundgaard, Rocco Rios Novo^
Defenders (14): Mikey Ambrose, George Bello, George Campbell, Alex De John, Franco Escobar*, Alan Franco, Jack Gurr, Andrew Gutman**, Ronald Hernández, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza***, Efrain Morales, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes
Midfielders (11): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Machop Chol, Jürgen Damm, Emerson Hyndman, Franco Ibarra, Marcelino Moreno, Jake Mulraney, Matheus Rossetto, Santiago Sosa, Tyler Wolff
Forwards (5): Jackson Conway, Erik Lopez, Lisandro López, Josef Martinez, Erick "Cubo" Torres
^ - on four-day Short Term Agreement
* - on loan with Newell's Old Boys
** - on loan with New York Red Bulls
*** - on loan with Defensa y Justicia
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 13, 2021
- Timbers Advance to Quarterfinals of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Behind 5-0 Win over C.D. Marathón - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg Two of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Statement on Season Ticket Member Pre-Sale - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Players & Staff Receive COVID-19 Vaccine - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Home Opener Sold Out - Houston Dynamo FC
- MNUFC Loans Noah Billinsgley to Phoenix - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC, Estrella Media Announce Renewal and Expansion of Spanish-Language Broadcast TV Partnership - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Luke Singh to Short Term Agreement - Toronto FC
- Procter & Gamble and Major League Soccer Announce Multifaceted, Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- MLS Announces New Initiative to Further Strategic Investment in Young Domestic and International Players - MLS
- the CW Austin, KXAN-TV, KBVO-TV and Austin FC Announce English Language Television Channel Assignments - Austin FC
- DICK's Sporting Goods Park to Host 7,897 Fans for Rapids Games Starting April 24 - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United re-signs Rocco Ríos Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- Know Your Opponent: Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC Medical Update - Aaron Schoenfeld - Austin FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Defender Edgar Castillo - FC Cincinnati
- The Pitch: MLS Is Back this Week; Welcome Austin FC - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.