Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg Two of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United defeated LD Alajuelense 1-0 Tuesday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Leg Two of its Round of 16 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League (SCCL) matchup, advancing to the Quarterfinals on an aggregate score of 2-0. Atlanta became the second MLS team to advance to the Quarterfinals in three consecutive years during the current era of the tournament (since 2008).
Jürgen Damm scored the game's lone goal, and his first with Atlanta United, in the first minute of stoppage time. In his first appearance of the season, Marcelino Moreno played a through ball to Ezequiel Barco down the left side of the field which created a two-on-one situation with Alajuelense goalkeeper Mauricio Vargas. Barco attempted to round Vargas, but his touch went into the path of Damm, who easily tapped in the goal.
Atlanta controlled the game throughout the night, dominating possession and out-shooting Alajuelense 15-7. Nine of Atlanta's 15 shots came in the second half, with five going on target. Moreno and Barco paced the team in shots with four a piece, while Damm, who entered the game at halftime, led all players with two shots on target and five crosses.
Atlanta will face the winner of Philadelphia Union vs. Saprissa, which the Union currently leads 1-0 after the first leg. Atlanta's Leg One match of the Quarterfinals will be played at Mercedes-Benz Stadium the week of April 26.
Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 | Leg Two
Atlanta United 1, LD Alajuelense 0
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 15-7 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 5-1 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 5-5
Fouls committed: 14-10 Atlanta
Offside: 3-0 Atlanta
Possession: 67-33 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 88-73 Atlanta
ATL - Jürgen Damm (Ezequiel Barco, Marcelino Moreno) 90+1'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Rocco Ríos Novo; Anton Walkes, George Bello, Miles Robinson, Brooks Lennon; Santiago Sosa, Franco Ibarra (Jürgen Damm - 45'); Marcelino Moreno, Ezequiel Barco, Emerson Hyndman; Josef Martínez © (Lisandro López - 66').
Substitutes not used: Jake Mulraney, Mikey Ambrose, George Campbell, Ben Lundgaard, Tyler Wolff.
LD ALAJUELENSE STARTING LINEUP
Mauricio Vargas; Fernán Faerrón, Daniel Arreola, Júnior Díaz; Yurguin Román (Geancarlo Castro - 84'), José Salvatierra (Alexis Gamboa - 70'), José Miguel Cubero ©, Brandon Aguilera (Aarón Suárez - 76'), Bernald Alfaro, Adrián Alonso, Martínez Batista; Jurguens Montenegro.
Substitutes not used: Santiago Van der Putte, Ian Lawrence.
Adonai Escobedo (referee), Miguel Hernandez, (assistant), Ibrahim Martinez, (assistant), Diego Montaño (fourth).
Jürgen Damm scored his first goal with Atlanta United
Atlanta United became the second MLS team to advance to the quarterfinals for the third consecutive year during the current era of SCCL
The clean sheet marked the first time Atlanta opened its season with back-to-back shutouts.
Ezequiel Barco led the team with four chances created
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 13, 2021
- Timbers Advance to Quarterfinals of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Behind 5-0 Win over C.D. Marathón - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg Two of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Statement on Season Ticket Member Pre-Sale - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Players & Staff Receive COVID-19 Vaccine - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Home Opener Sold Out - Houston Dynamo FC
- MNUFC Loans Noah Billinsgley to Phoenix - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC, Estrella Media Announce Renewal and Expansion of Spanish-Language Broadcast TV Partnership - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Luke Singh to Short Term Agreement - Toronto FC
- Procter & Gamble and Major League Soccer Announce Multifaceted, Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- MLS Announces New Initiative to Further Strategic Investment in Young Domestic and International Players - MLS
- the CW Austin, KXAN-TV, KBVO-TV and Austin FC Announce English Language Television Channel Assignments - Austin FC
- DICK's Sporting Goods Park to Host 7,897 Fans for Rapids Games Starting April 24 - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United re-signs Rocco Ríos Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- Know Your Opponent: Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC Medical Update - Aaron Schoenfeld - Austin FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Defender Edgar Castillo - FC Cincinnati
- The Pitch: MLS Is Back this Week; Welcome Austin FC - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Caleb Wiley Called up to United States Under-20 Men's Youth National Team for Training Camp
- Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Named to United States Men's National Team for World Cup Qualifiers
- Machop Chol Receives South Sudan National Team Call-Up
- Eugenio Villazón to Join Atlanta United Coaching Staff as Assistant Coach
- Atlanta United Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule