FC Cincinnati Sign Defender Edgar Castillo
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati have signed defender Edgar Castillo to a one-year contract with an additional option year. Castillo joined FCC on trial in March and has now been added to the club's active roster.
"Edgar is an experienced player who has found success playing at the club level in Mexico and the United States, as well as on the international level," FC Cincinnati General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. "It is important to have a balance of veterans and younger players and we believe Edgar can be an important piece for solidifying our backline and providing a level of leadership for our younger players."
In order to create an available senior roster spot for Castillo, the club has correspondingly waived Saad Abdul-Salaam. Abdul-Salaam made eight appearances, including five starts, in his lone year with FC Cincinnati in 2020.
"We want to thank Saad for everything he did both on and off the pitch as an FC Cincinnati player," Nijkamp said. "These types of decisions are never easy, but it is, unfortunately, part of this business. We wish Saad all the best in the next chapter of his career."
Castillo, 34, comes to FC Cincinnati following a one-year stint with Atlanta United FC in 2020. In his career, Castillo has played exclusively for Liga MX and MLS sides including Santos Laguna (2006-08), Club América (2009-2012), Tigres UANL (2009-10), San Luis (2010), Puebla (2011), Club Tijuana (2012-14), Atlas F.C. (2014-15), Monterrey (2015-19), Colorado Rapids (2018), New England Revolution (2019) and Atlanta United FC (2020).
In his career, Castillo has made 399 appearances, including 356 starts, scoring 13 goals and adding 21 assists in 14 professional seasons. In three MLS seasons, the veteran left back has amassed 52 regular season appearances, scoring three goals and adding 10 assists.
Internationally, Castillo has made 18 appearances for the U.S. Men's National Team dating back to 2009. Prior to playing for the USMNT, the defender made three appearances in friendlies for Mexico in 2007 and 2008. Following those appearances, he filed a one-time national team change to play for the United States.
FC Cincinnati will return to the pitch for their third MLS season on Saturday, April 17, when the team opens the season on the road against Nashville SC. FCC will officially open their 2021 home slate on Sunday, May 16, when the team hosts Inter Miami CF in the inaugural match at West End Stadium in a nationally televised 4 p.m. game.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team's official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
Information about seating options at the club's state-of-the-art West End Stadium - which will open in Spring 2021 - is now available at westendstadium.com. For more information about 2021 Season Ticket Memberships, which are now on sale to the general public, visit westendstadium.com or the stadium's social properties on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram at @WestEndStadium, or by calling the team's sales and service staff at 513-977-5425.
FC Cincinnati's current roster, listed alphabetically by position, is below:
Goalkeepers (4): Cody Cropper, Ben Lundt, Beckham Sunderland, PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ
Defenders (9): Zico Bailey, Edgar Castillo, Avionne Flanagan, Joseph-Claude Gyau, Nick Hagglund, Ronald Matarrita, Tom Pettersson, Gustavo Vallecilla, Maikel van der Werff
Midfielders (10): Luciano Acosta, Frankie Amaya, Alvaro Barreal, Allan Cruz, Calvin Harris, Yuya Kubo, Haris Medunjanin, Ben Mines, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Caleb Stanko
Forwards (5): Isaac Atanga, Brenner, Franko Kovačević, Jürgen Locadia, Brandon Vazquez
TRANSACTION: FC Cincinnati signed defender Edgar Castillo on April 13, 2021.
TRANSACTION: FC Cincinnati waived defender Saad Abdul-Salaam on April 13, 2021.
#2 EDGAR CASTILLO
Birthdate: October 8, 1986
Birthplace: Las Cruces, N.M.
Hometown: Las Cruces, N.M.
Last Club: Atlanta United FC (MLS)
Nationality: United States, Mexico
How Acquired: Via signing on April 13, 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 13, 2021
- Timbers Advance to Quarterfinals of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Behind 5-0 Win over C.D. Marathón - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg Two of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Atlanta United FC
- Sounders FC Statement on Season Ticket Member Pre-Sale - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Players & Staff Receive COVID-19 Vaccine - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo FC Home Opener Sold Out - Houston Dynamo FC
- MNUFC Loans Noah Billinsgley to Phoenix - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC, Estrella Media Announce Renewal and Expansion of Spanish-Language Broadcast TV Partnership - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Luke Singh to Short Term Agreement - Toronto FC
- Procter & Gamble and Major League Soccer Announce Multifaceted, Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- MLS Announces New Initiative to Further Strategic Investment in Young Domestic and International Players - MLS
- the CW Austin, KXAN-TV, KBVO-TV and Austin FC Announce English Language Television Channel Assignments - Austin FC
- DICK's Sporting Goods Park to Host 7,897 Fans for Rapids Games Starting April 24 - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United re-signs Rocco Ríos Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- Know Your Opponent: Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC Medical Update - Aaron Schoenfeld - Austin FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Defender Edgar Castillo - FC Cincinnati
- The Pitch: MLS Is Back this Week; Welcome Austin FC - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.