Atlanta United Kicks off 5th Annual Unite & Conquer Cancer Month
ATLANTA - September marks the start of Atlanta United's annual Unite and Conquer Cancer campaign while MLS WORKS - Major League Soccer's social responsibility platform - and Continental Tire are teaming up to support Childhood Cancer Awareness Month with the 8th annual "Kick Childhood Cancer" campaign to raise awareness of pediatric cancers and fundraise for childhood cancer research.
Atlanta United will observe its Unite & Conquer Cancer campaign this month by recognizing and creating special memories with pediatric cancer patients, survivors, families and staff from Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.
The club will conduct hospital visits utilizing robot technology to allow patients to connect with Atlanta United players while also celebrating hospital staff members at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta hospitals. For its Unite & Conquer Cancer match, Atlanta United is proud to welcome back pediatric cancer fighters and survivors to Mercedes-Benz Stadium for the first time since 2019 to enjoy a tailgate and pre-match ceremony on the field. Finally, Atlanta United will host five 'Conquer Kids' at the club's training ground for a VIP experience and the U&CC match on Sept. 18 against D.C. United.
Owen Klemme Conquer Kids: To honor a dear friend of Atlanta United, the Conquer Kid program has been renamed the 'Owen Klemme Conquer Kids' (OKCK). Owen was a pediatric cancer fighter with an exuberant spirit that left a lasting impression on the club's players and staff. Owen passed away this summer with his family by his side. Starting this year, the Conquer Kids will be selected by Camp Aurora, a non-profit day camp that Owen loved to attend with his siblings and fellow campers. The five Conquer Kids will be hosted by Atlanta United and receive a special experience at the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground and will also attend the U&CC match against D.C. United.
Virtual Hospital Visits: Atlanta United players will make virtual player appearances via the club's OhmniLabs Robot, sponsored by AT&T, to provide a safe way for kids and players to connect during the ongoing pandemic. Children's Healthcare of Atlanta hospital staff will also deliver gifts to each patient.
U&CC Matchday and Golden Tailgate: The annual U&CC match on Sept. 18 against D.C. United will include the traditional gold elements in the stadium and the club will continue its tradition of having pediatric cancer fighters and survivors announce the starting line-up. In conjunction with the Supporter groups, the 'Golden Tailgate' will provide a fun experience for the kids and families to enjoy before creating a human ribbon on the field pre-match.
Children's Heroes: Atlanta United will provide giveaways for all Children's Healthcare of Atlanta staff at Egleston and Scottish Rite Hospitals. In addition, the club will recognize top staff members who have gone above and beyond during the year with special gifts.
MLS's Kick Childhood Cancer campaign will promote and benefit Children's Oncology Group (COG) Foundation, the world's largest organization devoted exclusively to childhood and adolescent cancer research, uniting more than 10,000 experts in childhood cancer at more than 200 leading children's hospitals around the world. The Kick Childhood Cancer campaign has enabled COG to strengthen research efforts across the entire spectrum of pediatric cancers, including Project: EveryChild - a unique project aiming to capture the biology and outcome data of every child diagnosed with cancer.
As part of this year's campaign, MLS Clubs have created custom pajama bottoms to be distributed to local pediatric cancer patients as a token of comfort while they continue their journey in the fight against cancer. Continental Tire will also amplify campaign efforts with an inspirational Kick Childhood Cancer video series hosted by MLS player and childhood cancer survivor, Matt Lampson. The series will feature empowering stories from current and former patients, families, doctors, caretakers, and community members who aided children on their road to recovery.
Fans are encouraged to support the Kick Childhood Cancer campaign by tweeting inspirational messages with the hashtag #KickChildhoodCancer during the month of September. For every post featuring the #KickChildhoodCancer hashtag on Twitter from September 1-30, 2021, Continental Tire will donate $1 (up to a maximum of $50,000) to COG.
MLS and Continental Tire will partner with MLS clubs to "surprise and delight" pediatric cancer patients and health care providers with unique experiences and acts of kindness throughout the month of September. Messages of hope generated from players, coaches, and staff will be used to produce customized blankets which will be distributed during the holidays to provide comfort to patients during treatments and hospital stays.
Throughout the month of September, MLS, its member clubs, and players will drive awareness of the campaign through in-stadium activations, league social and digital channels, and on national and regional broadcasts.
A holiday auction consisting of game-used, autographed jerseys and soccer balls from September matches and other items donated by Continental Tire will provide an additional fundraising opportunity later in the season.
Fans can purchase a special KCC edition Pre-Match adidas jerseys on MLSstore.com starting August 31. MLS will donate all royalties it receives from Kick Childhood Cancer edition jerseys sold through official retail partners to COG through December 31, 2021. Fans may also donate directly to COG HERE.
A sampling of the way clubs are activating during Kick Childhood Cancer month will be featured on MLSsoccer.com, @MLS and @MLS WORKS social handles, as well as club social platforms.
For more information on Kick Childhood Cancer, COG or other MLS WORKS initiatives, visit MLSsoccer.com/mlsworks.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 13, 2021
- Nashville SC Shows Star Power, Team Grit in Road Win at CF MontréalÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 13, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Signs English Goalkeeper Jamal Blackman - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Match Preview vs Atlanta United FC - FC Cincinnati
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Now Required at Whitecaps FC Home Matches - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Cristian Arango Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 24 - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Kicks off 5th Annual Unite & Conquer Cancer Month - Atlanta United FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Cristian Arango Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 24 - MLS
- Minnesota United Recognizes Kick Childhood Cancer Month - Minnesota United FC
- Week 24: Michael Barrios Named to Team of the Week Again - Colorado Rapids
- Marsman, Gregore Named to MLS Week 24 Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastián Blanco Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 24 - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Homegrown Justin Che Named to MLSsoccer.com's Week 24 Team of the Week - FC Dallas
- Luciano Acosta Earns MLS Team of the Week Honors - FC Cincinnati
- Houston Dynamo FC Forward Fafa Picault Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- D.C. United to Kick-Off Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration with Noche Latina Match on Wednesday, September 15 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Embark on Two-Match Road Trip Starting with Columbus on Tuesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Community Soccer Rally and Vaccination Clinic Hosted by Sounders FC and Orlegi Sports Today at 5:00 p.m. PT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Wilfried Nancy Will Participate in a Free Virtual Conference - Club de Foot Montreal
- Columbus Crew Announces Additional Details for Tomorrow's Hispanic Heritage Night at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Toronto FC on Tuesday - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Falls in Tight Battle at LAFC - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Named to United States Men's National Team for World Cup Qualifiers
- Machop Chol Receives South Sudan National Team Call-Up
- Eugenio Villazón to Join Atlanta United Coaching Staff as Assistant Coach
- Atlanta United Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule
- Ronald Hernández, Josef Martínez Called up to Venezuela National Team Ahead of Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers