Cristian Arango Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 24
Los Angeles Football Club forward Cristian Arango has been voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 24 of the 2021 MLS season.
Arango scored a pair of goals as LAFC defeated Real Salt Lake 3-2 at Banc of California Stadium on Sunday evening, the club's second win in succession.
Arango opened the scoring for LAFC after just 20 seconds. From a fast break upfield directly off the opening kickoff, Arango latched onto a deflected pass just inside the penalty area and burst in on goal before side-footing home. The goal was the quickest from the start of a game in LAFC club history, and tied the eighth-fastest goal from the opening kickoff in MLS league history.
Arango then completed his brace on the half-hour, restoring LAFC's one-goal advantage in the match. Eduard Atuesta floated a chip to the penalty spot from the right side of the box, and Arango rose up to powerfully head home into the left side of the goal.
The goals were the third and fourth for LAFC and in MLS for the Colombian-born striker, making just his sixth appearance after being signed from Millonarios FC in his home country. All four of Arango's goals have come in the last three matches, as LAFC has gone undefeated over the stretch, scoring 10 goals in the process.
Arango and LAFC return to action on Wednesday evening, Sept. 15, when they travel to face Austin FC at Q2 Stadium (8 p.m. CT, ESPN+).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 13, 2021
- Nashville SC Shows Star Power, Team Grit in Road Win at CF MontréalÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 13, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Signs English Goalkeeper Jamal Blackman - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Match Preview vs Atlanta United FC - FC Cincinnati
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Now Required at Whitecaps FC Home Matches - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Cristian Arango Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 24 - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Kicks off 5th Annual Unite & Conquer Cancer Month - Atlanta United FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Cristian Arango Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 24 - MLS
- Minnesota United Recognizes Kick Childhood Cancer Month - Minnesota United FC
- Week 24: Michael Barrios Named to Team of the Week Again - Colorado Rapids
- Marsman, Gregore Named to MLS Week 24 Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastián Blanco Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 24 - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Homegrown Justin Che Named to MLSsoccer.com's Week 24 Team of the Week - FC Dallas
- Luciano Acosta Earns MLS Team of the Week Honors - FC Cincinnati
- Houston Dynamo FC Forward Fafa Picault Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- D.C. United to Kick-Off Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration with Noche Latina Match on Wednesday, September 15 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Embark on Two-Match Road Trip Starting with Columbus on Tuesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Community Soccer Rally and Vaccination Clinic Hosted by Sounders FC and Orlegi Sports Today at 5:00 p.m. PT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Wilfried Nancy Will Participate in a Free Virtual Conference - Club de Foot Montreal
- Columbus Crew Announces Additional Details for Tomorrow's Hispanic Heritage Night at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Toronto FC on Tuesday - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Falls in Tight Battle at LAFC - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- Cristian Arango Hat Trick Leads LAFC Past Dallas
- Ford & KCCLA Level up Excitement & Entertainment for LAFC vs. Seattle Match on October 26
- LAFC Defeat San Jose Earthquakes 3-1
- Proof of Vaccination Or Negative COVID-19 Test Result Required at Dignity Health Sports Park Events Beginning October 8
- LAFC Announces Date Change for Home Match against Vancouver