ATL UTD 2 Defeats Loudoun United 4-2
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United 2 defeated Loudoun United 4-2 Friday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. Bienvenue Kanakimana scored a hat trick while Jackson Conway sealed the win with his second goal of the year. Kanakimana extended his scoring streak to three consecutive matches during which he has tallied six goals.
Despite a promising start from Atlanta's attack, Loudoun took the lead in the 14th minute after Antonio Bustamante played Gordon Wild through the middle of the field where he was able to sneak a shot past Brendan Moore.
Kanakimana leveled the match five minutes later after Will Vint played him down the right flank where he sprinted in behind Loudoun's backline. The Burundian took one touch to put the ball on his left foot before finishing with a low shot at the near post. It was Vint's first professional assist.
Loudoun regained the lead in the 24th minute through an own goal when Moore attempted to clear the ball, but it deflected off Wesly Decas and rolled into the net.
Four minutes later, Kanakimana again found the equalizing goal. Laurent Kissiedou and George Bello combined down the left side which resulted in Bello taking a shot on the edge of the six-yard box, but it was blocked and rolled away from goal. Cutting in from the right side, Kanakimana ran toward the loose ball and unleashed a curling strike with his left that soared into the top left corner.
Kanakimana completed his hat trick and gave ATL UTD 2 the lead in the 70th minute. Decas received a pass on the left side near midfield and quickly found the forward making a run down the left wing. Kanakimana dribbled into the box and slotted a low shot past Calle Brown with his right foot for his sixth goal of the year.
Jackson Conway later extended Atlanta's lead in the 87th minute. Laurence Wyke gathered a loose ball in the defensive third and made a long run through the middle of the field. With a three-on-two advantage, Wyke laid the ball off to Conway on the right side where the 17-year-old settled the ball before striking it through the legs of Brown and into the net for his second tally of the season. It was Wyke's first professional assist.
ATL UTD 2 (4-12-5, 17 points) returns to action Sunday, Aug. 11 against Louisville City at 3:00 p.m. EST at Louisville Slugger Field. The match will be streamed live on ESPN+.
Atlanta 4, Loudoun 2
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 20-17 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 9-6 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 10-5 Loudoun
Fouls committed: 16-14 Loudoun
Saves: 5-5 Tied
Offside: 6-0 Atlanta
Possession: 51-49 Loudoun
Passing Accuracy: 86-84 Loudoun
LDN - Gordon Wild (Antonio Bustamante) 14'
ATL - Bienvenue Kanakimana (Will Vint) 19'
LDN - Wesly Decas (own goal) 24'
ATL - Bienvenue Kanakimana 28'
ATL - Bienvenue Kanakimana (Wesly Decas) 70'
ATL - Jackson Conway (Laurence Wyke) 87'
ATL - Laurence Wyke (yellow) 11'
LDN - Collin Verfurth (yellow) 32'
ATL - Will Vint (yellow) 46'
ATL - Andrew Carleton (yellow) 51'
LDN - John Murphy Jr. (yellow) 59'
ATL - Jose Hernandez (yellow) 62'
ATLANTA UNITED 2 STARTING LINEUP
Brendan Moore; George Bello (Tyler Ruthven - 45'), Wesly Decas, Laurence Wyke, Jack Metcalf ©; Jose Hernandez, Will Vint (Will Reilly - 73'); Laurent Kissiedou (Luiz Fernando - 67'), Andrew Carleton, Bienvenue Kanakimana; Jackson Conway.
Substitutes not used: Paul Christensen, Kevin Barajas, Alessandro Castro, Patrick Okonkwo.
LOUDOUN UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Calle Brown; Harri Hawkins, Collin Verfurth, Connor Presley, Jacob Greene (Christian Sorto - 76'); Nelson Martinez, Antonio Bustamante, Gordon Wild (Elvis Amoh - 68'), Carlos Alvarez (John Murphy Jr. - 52'), Orlando Sinclair; Kyle Murphy ©.
Substitutes not used: Earl Edwards, Allexon Saravia.
Kevin Broadley (referee), Walter Heatherly (assistant), Justen Lopez (assistant), Richonne Clark (fourth).
Bienvenue Kanakimana scored the second hat trick in club history to bring his season total to six goals. He leads the team in scoring and has scored in three consecutive matches.
Will Vint and Laurence Wyke each recorded their first professional assists
Wesly Decas recorded his second assist of the season
George Bello made his second appearance this season for ATL UTD 2; his first was the season opener against Hartford Athletic (3/9).
Tyler Ruthven returned from injury and made his fifth appearance of the season and his first since May 19 at Swope Park Rangers
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 2, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Lose on a Late Goal to the Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Defeats Loudoun United 4-2 - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Settles for Scoreless Draw on Long Weekend Eve - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Extends Shutout Streak to Earn a Valuable Point on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Loudoun United Fall 4-2 on the Road against Atlanta United 2 - Loudoun United FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to New York Red Bulls II - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Travels to Charlotte to Take on Independence - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC, Liam Doyle Agree to Mutually Part Ways - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Calls up Jordan Jones from FC Tucson - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Not Taking Swope Park Rangers Lightly Ahead of Saturday's Clash - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes Momentum to Pittsburgh - Memphis 901 FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Heads to the Tar Heel State for Rematch vs. North Carolina FC - Indy Eleven
- Time Changed for Legion FC V. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sunday, October 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Adds Marcus Epps from New York Red Bulls - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Sacramento Republic FC in Key Saturday Matchup - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Finishes Two-Match Road Swing in Los Angeles - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC and Tulsa Roughnecks Battle for the Wrench in the Black Gold Derby Tomorrow - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Second Place Reno 1868 FC as Chase for Playoffs Continues - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: #CHSvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- New England Homegrown Talent Added to Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Austin Bold FC Hosts Military Knight August 10 - Austin Bold FC
- Midfielder Rony Argueta Suspended by the U.S. Soccer Federation - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United 2 Stories
- Atlanta United 2 Closes out Season with 3-1 Defeat
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs the Miami FC
- Atlanta United 2 Defeats New York Red Bulls II 5-3 in Home Finale
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs New York Red Bulls II
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 2-1 at Home to Tampa Bay Rowdies