Memphis 901 FC Takes Momentum to Pittsburgh
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Memphis 901 FC shoots to keep the momentum of a 2-0 win over sixth-place Ottawa Fury FC in a contest at Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC, who is now in sixth place, tomorrow night at 6:00 (CT).
Last week against Ottawa, 901 FC got two goals within three minutes in the second half and locked down on defense to pick up a 2-0 win. 901 FC pressured Ottawa out of the halftime locker room and capitalized on an own-goal off a corner kick in the 59th minute. Three minutes later, Adam Najem ripped one to the bottom left-hand corner of the box off an assist from Brandon Allen to put 901 FC ahead 2-0.
All night long the Memphis defense did not give Ottawa much, handling its attacks every step of the way ahead of goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell. Ottawa managed 15 shots, but only four were on-target and another five were blocked, in Caldwell's third clean sheet of the season.
Memphis and Pittsburgh matched up earlier this season on May 18 at AutoZone Park, but the match was abandoned due to inclement weather. The Memphis meeting between the two sides will be replayed in its entirety on Sept. 24.
Tomorrow's match at Pittsburgh continues a tough stretch on the 901 FC schedule. Including this match, Memphis has played four-straight matches against teams currently in the playoff picture (Pittsburgh, 6th; Ottawa, 7th; New York, 2nd; Nashville, 5th) and six-of-eight overall (Ottawa again; Indy, 3rd). A seventh, Charlotte Independence, is only out of the playoff picture based on goal differential.
Memphis has scored 21 goals in its last 13 matches, which far outpaces the club's output through its first 10 matches of the season (8). The recent stretch includes seven multi-goal performances where the club is 5-0-2. Memphis had just two multi-goal showings in its first 10 matches and did not win either outing.
In 10 matches since the beginning of May, 901 FC has gotten a point in seven of them after having points in three of its first nine matches of the season.
With three points tomorrow, coupled with favorable results ahead of it in the table, Memphis 901 FC could jump another spot in the standings. Currently sitting with 18 points, the team ahead of Memphis, Loudoun United FC, has 19. The line for a playoff spot currently stands at 24 points.
After tomorrow's match, 901 FC remains on the road to face Saint Louis FC Tuesday night in a match that was rescheduled after a postponement. Memphis then plays at AutoZone Park on Saturday, Aug. 10 before four-straight road outings through the beginning of September.
Tickets for the remainder of the season are available at www.memphis901fc.com/tickets.
Images from this story
Lagos Kunga of Memphis 901 FC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 2, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Lose on a Late Goal to the Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Defeats Loudoun United 4-2 - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Settles for Scoreless Draw on Long Weekend Eve - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Extends Shutout Streak to Earn a Valuable Point on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Loudoun United Fall 4-2 on the Road against Atlanta United 2 - Loudoun United FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to New York Red Bulls II - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Travels to Charlotte to Take on Independence - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC, Liam Doyle Agree to Mutually Part Ways - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Calls up Jordan Jones from FC Tucson - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Not Taking Swope Park Rangers Lightly Ahead of Saturday's Clash - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes Momentum to Pittsburgh - Memphis 901 FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Heads to the Tar Heel State for Rematch vs. North Carolina FC - Indy Eleven
- Time Changed for Legion FC V. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sunday, October 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Adds Marcus Epps from New York Red Bulls - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Sacramento Republic FC in Key Saturday Matchup - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Finishes Two-Match Road Swing in Los Angeles - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC and Tulsa Roughnecks Battle for the Wrench in the Black Gold Derby Tomorrow - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Second Place Reno 1868 FC as Chase for Playoffs Continues - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: #CHSvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- New England Homegrown Talent Added to Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Austin Bold FC Hosts Military Knight August 10 - Austin Bold FC
- Midfielder Rony Argueta Suspended by the U.S. Soccer Federation - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.