Match Preview: #CHSvTBR
Charleston Battery vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies
Saturday, 7:30 p.m. ET
MUSC Health Stadium, Charleston, S.C.
Follow us for live updates on Twitter at @RowdiesGameday
How to Watch
The match will be broadcast online on ESPN+ here. International viewers can watch online here.
Tampa Bay: 12-2-7 (W-L-T), 1st place; 6-1-3 on road
Charleston: 6-4-8 (W-L-T), 9th place; 4-0-6 at home
The Rowdies were only a couple of minutes away from a win when Ian Svantesson scored on a free kick in the 88th minute to steal a point for the Battery. Sebastian Guenzatti had given Tampa Bay a lead late in the first half.
The Tampa Bay Rowdies head to South Carolina following their second defeat of the USL Championship season last weekend on the road against the New York Red Bulls II. Despite that, the Rowdies still sit in first place in the Eastern Conference heading into this weekend, though New York could claim first place Friday night.
In addition to being just Tampa Bay's second loss this season, last week's match against Charleston was only the second time this year the Rowdies have given up multiple goals in a league game. It was also only the third time Tampa Bay has been shut out.
Both of Tampa Bay's losses this season have been followed by a match against the Battery. Tampa Bay lost 3-1 to North Carolina FC on June 8 and then drew against the Battery a week later, conceding late to drop two points.
The Rowdies will be without center back Pape Diakite this weekend as he serves a one-game suspension due to yellow card accumulation. This is Diakite's second suspension of the season. The Rowdies beat Swope Park 1-0 in the previous match. Diakite has played every minute of the season apart from the suspensions.
Sebastian Guenzatti leads the team in scoring with 12 goals, good for third-best in the league. His most frequent strike partner, Juan Tejada, returned from international duty with the Panama U23s last weekend but was limited to a spot on the bench after being away for two weeks.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 2, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Lose on a Late Goal to the Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Defeats Loudoun United 4-2 - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Settles for Scoreless Draw on Long Weekend Eve - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Extends Shutout Streak to Earn a Valuable Point on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Loudoun United Fall 4-2 on the Road against Atlanta United 2 - Loudoun United FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to New York Red Bulls II - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Travels to Charlotte to Take on Independence - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC, Liam Doyle Agree to Mutually Part Ways - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Calls up Jordan Jones from FC Tucson - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Not Taking Swope Park Rangers Lightly Ahead of Saturday's Clash - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes Momentum to Pittsburgh - Memphis 901 FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Heads to the Tar Heel State for Rematch vs. North Carolina FC - Indy Eleven
- Time Changed for Legion FC V. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sunday, October 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Adds Marcus Epps from New York Red Bulls - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Sacramento Republic FC in Key Saturday Matchup - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Finishes Two-Match Road Swing in Los Angeles - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC and Tulsa Roughnecks Battle for the Wrench in the Black Gold Derby Tomorrow - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Second Place Reno 1868 FC as Chase for Playoffs Continues - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: #CHSvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- New England Homegrown Talent Added to Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Austin Bold FC Hosts Military Knight August 10 - Austin Bold FC
- Midfielder Rony Argueta Suspended by the U.S. Soccer Federation - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.