Fury FC Settles for Scoreless Draw on Long Weekend Eve
OTTAWA - For its second encounter with Birmingham Legion FC this season, with the first match at BBVA Field ending in a 1-0 win for Ottawa, Fury FC was back home on Friday night and trying to collect three points. Despite a strong performance on the field, Ottawa had to settle for a single point in a 0-0 draw.
Fury FC will now have to wait 15 days before its next USL Championship matchup but will have the all-important Canadian Championship semi-final series against Toronto FC to focus on, with the first leg going this Wednesday, August 7 at TD Place.
Two Fury FC made their first start for the club on Friday night: Protais Mutambala at forward, and Robert Boskovic at centre-back.
Forward Aidan Daniels also made a return to play on Friday, entering the match in the 74th minute after missing over a month due to injury.
Ottawa's newest acquisition, striker Hadji Barry, didn't make Fury FC faithfuls wait too long, stepping onto the field for the first time in black and red at the start of the second half.
With the 0-0 result, Fury FC keeper Callum Irving earned his 6th clean sheet of the season, barely having faced any threatening shots all game long.
Irving faced 3 of the 5 shots taken by the Legion, the other 2 having been blocked before they reached his area.
Fury FC dominated all facets of the game, creating 12 shots, 3 on target, maintaining 66% of the possession and stringing 556 passes in the 90 minutes.
Kevin Oliveira had a solid night in attack, taking 5 shots and collecting one key pass.
In his first start and first 90-minute of the season, Boskovic had a nice showing, successfully completing 4 tackles and 2 blocks, including a decisive sliding tackle that regained possession for Fury FC in the first half.
Head Coach Nikola Popovic
"It's frustrating. The team performed in an impressive way. We were always under control. We dominated and controlled the game most of the 90-minutes. We created good chances. We deserved to get out with the three points. What we did today was enough to get us three points. However, it wasn't possible and we ended up only with one point."
Forward Hadji Barry
"I'm happy to get my first game with Ottawa Fury. It feels great to be back on the field, just touching the ball and playing with teammates. I know I'm not where I want to be yet, that's going to come along, and I think my teammates and coach will help me do that, but I'm just happy being out and playing the game."
Watch match highlights | Review match statistics
Ottawa Fury FC (4-3-3): Irving; Obasi (81' Tissot), Boskovic, Barnathan, Haworth ©; Gagnon-Laparé (46' Barry), Ward, Mannella; Mutambala (74' Daniels), Oliveira, François
Birmingham Legion FC (4-3-3): Van Oekel; Culbertson, Laurent, Fisher, Lopez ©; Kobayashi (44' Opoku), Asiedu, Avila (81' Ward); Wright (76' Hollinger-Janzen), Herivaux, Williams
- none -
74' - BHM Lopez
78' - BHM Lopez
88' - BHM Van Oekel
90+3' - BHM Asiedu
Next home match: Wednesday, August 7 v Toronto FC in Canadian Championship semi-final (tickets)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 2, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Lose on a Late Goal to the Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Defeats Loudoun United 4-2 - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Settles for Scoreless Draw on Long Weekend Eve - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Extends Shutout Streak to Earn a Valuable Point on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Loudoun United Fall 4-2 on the Road against Atlanta United 2 - Loudoun United FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to New York Red Bulls II - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Travels to Charlotte to Take on Independence - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC, Liam Doyle Agree to Mutually Part Ways - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Calls up Jordan Jones from FC Tucson - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Not Taking Swope Park Rangers Lightly Ahead of Saturday's Clash - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes Momentum to Pittsburgh - Memphis 901 FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Heads to the Tar Heel State for Rematch vs. North Carolina FC - Indy Eleven
- Time Changed for Legion FC V. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sunday, October 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Adds Marcus Epps from New York Red Bulls - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Sacramento Republic FC in Key Saturday Matchup - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Finishes Two-Match Road Swing in Los Angeles - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC and Tulsa Roughnecks Battle for the Wrench in the Black Gold Derby Tomorrow - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Second Place Reno 1868 FC as Chase for Playoffs Continues - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: #CHSvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- New England Homegrown Talent Added to Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Austin Bold FC Hosts Military Knight August 10 - Austin Bold FC
- Midfielder Rony Argueta Suspended by the U.S. Soccer Federation - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.