LouCity Travels to Charlotte to Take on Independence
Louisville City heads to Charlotte Saturday hungry for a win in an Eastern Conference matchup.
"We need to continue to work on how we attack," Louisville City coach John Hackworth said. "Clearly we haven't put the ball in the back of the net in the last couple games, and that has to be a focus of ours. At the same time, we need to be better defensively. I don't think I'm giving away secrets when I say those are two of our biggest objectives this week."
Louisville City hasn't scored the last two weeks and is looking to break that streak vs. the Independence.
"Obviously it's on us to have a really positive response to the last result, and that's all we can do," Hackworth said.
And on defense, Hackworth wants to see his team respond quickly to counter-attacks.
"We're a pressing team, and when we press that means we're vulnerable to counters," Hackworth said. "We need to do a better job of making sure that we get re-organized and we do that sooner and we don't take for granted when we do get re-organized."
The last time these two teams played, it ended in a 1-1 draw as Louisville City fell behind in the 12' on a Charlotte counter-attack and had to fight back with a goal by Luke Spencer in the 77' to get the draw.
Charlotte had a few strong performances in a row after a recent coaching change.
"They've been playing well, with the exception of this last week they went down to Birmingham and lost, but they've been playing well," Hackworth said. "They're very organized. They're a very experienced team. They have some excellent attacking players and some really good defenders that have had a lot of experience not only in the USL Championship but in the MLS, so we have our work cut out for us."
Both clubs this weekend are feeling pressure to get points as the USL Championship season starts getting into its final quarter. The top 10 teams make the playoffs. Louisville City is currently 8th in the East with 30 points and Charlotte is currently 11th in the East with 24 points.
"They are a team that's fighting for playoff position, and we are a team that needs a response to ensure that we stay in a good position and improve on our position," Hackworth said.
Louisville City and Charlotte Independence kick off at 7 p.m. at Audi Field. The game will be broadcast locally on WBKI and streamed online on ESPN+.
The radio broadcast with Kevin Kernen and Jeff Greer will be on 840 WHAS at 6:45, from the LouCity Watch Party at Falls City Taproom.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 2, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Lose on a Late Goal to the Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Defeats Loudoun United 4-2 - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Settles for Scoreless Draw on Long Weekend Eve - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Extends Shutout Streak to Earn a Valuable Point on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Loudoun United Fall 4-2 on the Road against Atlanta United 2 - Loudoun United FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to New York Red Bulls II - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Travels to Charlotte to Take on Independence - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC, Liam Doyle Agree to Mutually Part Ways - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Calls up Jordan Jones from FC Tucson - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Not Taking Swope Park Rangers Lightly Ahead of Saturday's Clash - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes Momentum to Pittsburgh - Memphis 901 FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Heads to the Tar Heel State for Rematch vs. North Carolina FC - Indy Eleven
- Time Changed for Legion FC V. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sunday, October 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Adds Marcus Epps from New York Red Bulls - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Sacramento Republic FC in Key Saturday Matchup - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Finishes Two-Match Road Swing in Los Angeles - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC and Tulsa Roughnecks Battle for the Wrench in the Black Gold Derby Tomorrow - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Second Place Reno 1868 FC as Chase for Playoffs Continues - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: #CHSvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- New England Homegrown Talent Added to Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Austin Bold FC Hosts Military Knight August 10 - Austin Bold FC
- Midfielder Rony Argueta Suspended by the U.S. Soccer Federation - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- Preview: What to Watch for with LouCity vs. Tampa Bay
- NEWS: LouCity-Tampa Bay Winner to Host USL Final
- Eastern Conference Final's Kickoff Time Adjusted
- LouCity Beats Saint Louis, on to Conference Final
- Preview: What to Watch for with LouCity vs. Saint Louis FC