San Antonio FC Hosts Sacramento Republic FC in Key Saturday Matchup
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (7-8-6) will host Sacramento Republic FC (8-9-3) at Toyota Field on Saturday, August 3 in what will be the final regular season meeting between the two clubs in 2019. With both teams tied on points and angling for a playoff position, the first match of August for the two teams should prove to be a key tilt on the season. The match will be broadcast on Fox Sports Southwest with Dan Weiss and Matt Barnes on the call.
SAFC enters the match currently riding a five-game unbeaten streak after defeating the Real Monarchs 3-1 last Saturday. SAFC is one of just three USL Championship teams who entered this week unbeaten in their last five league matches (also, Phoenix Rising FC, New York Red Bulls II). In addition, San Antonio has lost just one league match in their last eight and are unbeaten in their last nine USL Championship games in the friendly confines of Toyota Field.
The newest addition to the San Antonio FC roster, Frank Lopez, will look to build on his impressive start for the club. In his first three games, Lopez has scored three goals, recorded one assists and added nine shots, six shots on target and five key passes. Should Lopez and company help SAFC earn three points this Saturday, the club will record its longest unbeaten streak since the 2017 season.
Republic FC travel to San Antonio after a 0-0 draw against Orange County SC and a 1-2 loss to New Mexico United in their last two matches. Sacramento is 1-3-1 in their last five USL Championship matches and is 3-6-1 on the road so far in 2019. However, the Republic defeated San Antonio in the only other matchup between the two this season on June 1. In all six matches between SAFC and Republic FC, Sacramento has never conceded more than one goal in a single game to the Alamo City club.
Overall, the teams are even in their history, playing to a 2-2-2 record over the six league matches. SAFC is 2-0-0 against the Sacramento at home however, playing to 1-0 wins in each of the 2017 and 2018 seasons. The last time these two teams met at Toyota Field came on June 16, 2018 when San Antonio earned a 1-0 victory after a stellar defensive performance. SAFC kept a clean sheet despite allowing 22 shots and nine shots on target, thanks in part to nine saves from goalkeeper Diego Restrepo along with 13 clearances from defender Cyprian Hedrick.
Following their match against Sacramento, San Antonio FC will travel to Reno 1868 FC on August 10 before returning for their next home game at Toyota Field on August 17 against RGV FC at 7:30 p.m.
USL Championship Game 22 - San Antonio FC vs. Sacramento Republic FC:
Date: Saturday, Aug. 3, 2019
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. CT
Stadium: Toyota Field
San Antonio FC: 7-8-6 (12th, 27 pts)
Sacramento Republic FC: 8-9-3, (11th, 27 pts)
All-time Series: San Antonio FC is 2-2-2 all-time against the Republic, falling 1-2 earlier this season in Sacramento in the last meeting between the two sides. At home, SAFC is 2-0-0 thanks to a pair of 1-0 wins since 2017
Fox Sports Southwest
USL Match Center
Social Media Information:
Facebook: San Antonio FC
Hashtags: #Defend210, #SAvSAC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 2, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Lose on a Late Goal to the Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Defeats Loudoun United 4-2 - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Settles for Scoreless Draw on Long Weekend Eve - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Extends Shutout Streak to Earn a Valuable Point on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Loudoun United Fall 4-2 on the Road against Atlanta United 2 - Loudoun United FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to New York Red Bulls II - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Travels to Charlotte to Take on Independence - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC, Liam Doyle Agree to Mutually Part Ways - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Calls up Jordan Jones from FC Tucson - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Not Taking Swope Park Rangers Lightly Ahead of Saturday's Clash - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes Momentum to Pittsburgh - Memphis 901 FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Heads to the Tar Heel State for Rematch vs. North Carolina FC - Indy Eleven
- Time Changed for Legion FC V. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sunday, October 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Adds Marcus Epps from New York Red Bulls - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Sacramento Republic FC in Key Saturday Matchup - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Finishes Two-Match Road Swing in Los Angeles - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC and Tulsa Roughnecks Battle for the Wrench in the Black Gold Derby Tomorrow - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Second Place Reno 1868 FC as Chase for Playoffs Continues - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: #CHSvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- New England Homegrown Talent Added to Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Austin Bold FC Hosts Military Knight August 10 - Austin Bold FC
- Midfielder Rony Argueta Suspended by the U.S. Soccer Federation - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Eliminated from Playoffs After Extra Time Goal for New Mexico
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 to Austin Bold in Final Match of Regular Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Austin Bold FC
- San Antonio FC First-Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now