Match Preview: Toros Host Second Place Reno 1868 FC as Chase for Playoffs Continues
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (6-10-5, 23 pts) is prepared to face off against Reno 1868 FC (12-5-5, 41 pts.) at H-E-B Park (TICKETS). The Western Conference matchup is set to kickoff at 7:30 P.M. CST on ESPN+ and Somos El Valle 5.2.
The last meeting between the two sides, on July 3, was rather lopsided as Reno claimed the 4-0 victory over RGV FC in Nevada, protecting their home record. Exactly one month later, the Toros seek to upset the number two team in the conference, at H-E-B Park. 1868 FC enters this match on a high note after a convincing 4-0 clean sheet win against Colorado Switchbacks FC at home.
With the win Reno grew their total goal scored mark to 48, conceding only 32 goals all season. Their ability to strike from anywhere is evident in the statistical outlook. Striking from outside the box has been a dangerous feature for 1868 FC as they have tallied 10 goals from distance. Individual top scorer, Corey Hertzog claims the title so far with his 11 total goals on the season.
Smart ball distribution and aggressive attacking is a characteristic of Reno 1868 soccer and one particular player, Seth Casiple, has done a fine job of creating chances for their attack, 66 to be exact. With Casiple finding the open spots and feeding the offensive attack, look for Hertzog to slip away and create danger in the defensive third on Saturday night.
RGV FC looks to expose the 5-4-2 road record of Reno 1868 FC and steal three points on home turf to help that climb toward the playoff picture as the season grows older. The Toros defense understand the need to remain tight and not leave holes exposed, while trusting the attacking third to finish on chances created to give them a chance at glory at H-E-B Park.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 2, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Lose on a Late Goal to the Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- ATL UTD 2 Defeats Loudoun United 4-2 - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Settles for Scoreless Draw on Long Weekend Eve - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Extends Shutout Streak to Earn a Valuable Point on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Loudoun United Fall 4-2 on the Road against Atlanta United 2 - Loudoun United
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to New York Red Bulls II - Saint Louis FC
- LouCity Travels to Charlotte to Take on Independence - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC, Liam Doyle Agree to Mutually Part Ways - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Calls up Jordan Jones from FC Tucson - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Not Taking Swope Park Rangers Lightly Ahead of Saturday's Clash - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Takes Momentum to Pittsburgh - Memphis 901 FC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Heads to the Tar Heel State for Rematch vs. North Carolina FC - Indy Eleven
- Time Changed for Legion FC V. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sunday, October 20 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Memphis 901 FC Adds Marcus Epps from New York Red Bulls - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Sacramento Republic FC in Key Saturday Matchup - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising FC Finishes Two-Match Road Swing in Los Angeles - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC and Tulsa Roughnecks Battle for the Wrench in the Black Gold Derby Tomorrow - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Second Place Reno 1868 FC as Chase for Playoffs Continues - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: #CHSvTBR - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- New England Homegrown Talent Added to Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Austin Bold FC Hosts Military Knight August 10 - Austin Bold FC
- Midfielder Rony Argueta Suspended by the U.S. Soccer Federation - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- RGV FC Hosts Timbers 2 for Last Game of the 2019 Season
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy
- Preview: RGV FC Makes Last Road Trip to OKC Energy
- Toros Equalize with New Mexico 1-1
- RGV FC Heads to Tough Crowd at New Mexico United