Admirals Crunch Knights
Milwaukee, WI--The Milwaukee Admirals came out ready to hit as they upended the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights 3-1 in front of 6,022 roaring fans at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee Saturday night.
Brandon Segal set the tone early with one bone-crunching hit after another in a fast-paced first period. Segal nearly broke through in the period when he narrowly missed scoring as he walked in from the right face-off circle only to be stopped at the doorstep.
As time wound down in the period, the Admirals pulled goaltender Pekka Rinne for an extra attacker on a delayed Omaha penalty. The move by Coach Claude Noel paid off when Kevin Klein blasted a slap shot from the right point past Knights goaltender Brent Krahn with eight seconds left on the clock. Assisting on the goal were Greg Classen and Darren Haydar.
Milwaukee kept up the heavy hitting as the game moved to the second period. It took only six minutes for the Admirals to find twine again as defenseman Greg Zanon threaded a perfect pass from the right point to Classen who was waiting patiently by the left goalpost to tip the puck into an open frame for a power-play goal, his 14th of the season.
Omaha made the game exciting in the third period as they pulled within one when Craig MacDonald spoiled Rinne's shutout bid by slamming home a long rebound from the low slot on the power-play at 3:28 of the period.
The goal set up an interesting final minute of the game as the Knights pulled their goaltender for an extra attacker. The move backfired as Milwaukee's Libor Pivko hit the post on an empty net attempt, but was quickly followed by an unassisted, empty-net strike from Kris Beech who scored his second goal in three games since returning to the Admirals from the Nashville Predators.
The Admirals have the next five days off before facing the Cleveland Barons on Friday, January 13 at the Bradley Center at 7:00 p.m. The first 3,500 fans will receive an Admirals winter hat, courtesy of the Titus Group. For tickets fans can call Ticketmaster at (414) 276-4545 or log onto www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 7, 2006
- Admirals Hold Off Knights, 3-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Crunch Knights - Milwaukee Admirals
- San Antonio loses to Grand Rapids - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins defeat San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Bounce Back for Split, 6-1 - Albany Devils
- Stars Manhandle Chicago Wolves - Iowa Chops
- Wolf Pack Dominate Monarchs To Take Over Second Place - Manchester Monarchs
- B-Sens step up play in shutout of Hershey - Binghamton Senators
- Norfolk defeats Monsters 6-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Dogs Remain Perfect in 2006 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Penguins Take 1-0 Victory - Adirondack Phantoms
- Senators blow by Bears 4-0 at Broome County - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins fall to Pirates 6-0 - Providence Bruins
- Kompon Signs PTO With Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Barons extend home ice winning streak to four with 5-2 win - Cleveland Barons
- Barons beat Rivermen, 5-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Bears in Binghamton tonight as road trip continues - Hershey Bears
- Flames Send For Regehr Again - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Fill Up with Schell - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs game notes - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Host Crunch Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage GameDay - San Antonio Rampage
- Blaze training camp report - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.