4-Run 1st Inning Keys Cubs 8-4 Win over Dragons
South Bend, Ind. - The South Bend Cubs scored four runs in the first inning and held off the Dayton Dragons on Sunday afternoon, winning 8-4 to take three-of-four in the series in Indiana. The Dragons finished their seven-game road trip with a record of 2-5.
South Bend took command of the game early, scoring four runs in the first against Dayton starter Ricky Salinas. A three-run double by Tyler Durna with one out was the key hit.
The Dragons cut the deficit in half in the third inning. Miguel Hernandez walked to start the inning and scored from first base on a two-out triple to the fence in right-center field by Michael Siani. A balk brought Siani in from third to make it 4-2.
But South Bend got their offense going again in the fourth as Chris Morel launched a home run to lead off the inning, putting the Cubs ahead 5-2. They added two more runs in the fifth before Dayton's Juan Martinez connected on a solo home run in the sixth to make it 7-3.
South Bend's D.J. Artis belted a home run in the eighth to extend the Cubs lead to 8-3. The Dragons closed out the scoring in the ninth when Jay Schuyler doubled off the left field fence to drive in Mariel Bautista from second base to reach the final score of 8-4.
Salinas (1-1) was charged with the loss. He worked three and one-third innings, allowing five runs (four earned) on six hits with three walks and two strikeouts. Moises Nova made his first appearance of the year in relief of Salinas. Nova tossed one and two-thirds innings, allowing one hit and two runs (one earned) with two walks and three strikeouts. Eddy Demurias pitched the final three innings, allowing one run on four hits with a walk and a strikeout.
The Dragons collected just four hits. They had three extra base hits including the homer by Martinez, his second of the year, along with the triple by Siani and the double by Schuyler.
Up Next: The Dragons (14-28) return to Dayton to meet the Lake County Captains at Fifth Third Field on Monday at 7:00 p.m. On Tuesday, the Dragons and Captains will resume a suspended game from April 14 at 6:00 p.m. That game will be followed by the regularly-scheduled game. The series will continue with games through Thursday. On Monday, Jhon De Jesus (1-3, 5.27) will come off the Dayton injured list as the Dragons starting pitcher. He will be opposed by Lake County's Cody Morris (2-0, 3.71).
On the Air: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Bees Score Pair of Walk-off Wins - Burlington Bees
- Olmeda's Walkoff Homer Give Bees a Twinbill Sweep of Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Homestand Preview: May 20-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Weber Launches Snappers to 15-7 Win over the Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Skyler Weber Crushes Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Win Wild Series Finale in Peoria 11-9 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Knocks in Career-High Six, Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Fall 8-7 in 10-Inning Series Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Falter Late in Loons Rally - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Cruise Their Way to 8-4 Series Finale Win over Dayton - South Bend Cubs
- Biggest Comeback of Year Ends Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Freeman's Walk-Off Single in 10th Secures Split of Four-Game Series - Lake County Captains
- Clinton Rallies to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Down, But Never Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Take Game One From Rattlers in Extra Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 4-Run 1st Inning Keys Cubs 8-4 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Fort Wayne vs. Lansing Cancelled by Rain - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts and TinCaps Canceled by Rain - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Starter Watson Added, to Start Today - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 19 vs. Lansing (Game 41) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons, Day Air Credit Union, Community Help Raise over $16,000 for The Dayton Foodbank
- Reds Invite Dragons to Continue Partnership
- Dayton Dragons announce holiday "50/50 Raffle" Presented by Day Air Credit Union Benefitting The Dayton Foodbank
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled