About Last Night... In the third game against Lake County, the Hot Rods jumped out of the gate, scoring three runs in the first as Grant Witherspoon singled home two runs and Jake Palomaki added an RBI double, all with two outs. Lake County tied the game in the bottom half of the inning on a two-run homer by Tyler Freeman and a solo shot by Ruben Cardenas. Bowling Green took the lead back on a solo shot by Chris Betts in the third. An inning later, the Hot Rods broke it open, as Kaleo Johnson ripped a three-run home run and Roberto Alvarez added an RBI single. After a Michael Smith RBI single in the fifth made it 9-3, Alan Strong came in the fifth for starting pitcher Cristopher Sanchez and threw 5.0 shutout innings to close out the game. Smith capped off the rout with a two-run triple in the ninth, supplying the final runs in an 11-3 rout.
Strong in Relief... Alan Strong made his third relief appearance of the season on Saturday and did not disappoint, striking out seven and scattering three hits in 5.0 shutout innings, earning the win. While he's gone 1-1 in 2.31 ERA in four starts, Strong has stepped it up out of the bullpen, going 2-0 with a 1.13 ERA in his three relief outings. In 16 innings, the righty has allowed just three runs (two earned) on 12 hits, while walking just two and striking out 14.
Showing Off the Arm... Despite not throwing out any runners on Saturday, the Hot Rods outfielders have had a remarkable string of games, racking up five outfield assists in a four game stretch from May 14-17. Bowling Green's run of assists gives them 11 on the season through 42 games. While their current pace of 37 is behind last year's league-leading total of 45 outfield assists, the Hot Rods still rank second in the Midwest League in that category, behind Clinton, who has 13 assists from their outfielders.
Doing Work on Sunday... The Hot Rods had last Sunday off for Mother's Day, but otherwise, Bowling Green has been solid on Sunday this season. Bowling Green has put up a 3-1 record on Sundays, though their only Sunday game away from Bowling Green was an 11-3 defeat to Peoria on May 5. The strong showing for BG on the seventh day of the week has contributed to the Hot Rods strong record in days games (7-2), rubber games (6-1), and series finales (9-3). They will have an opportunity to take the series against the Captains and improve on those numbers this afternoon.
Yesterday's Notes... Franco and Pena both have six-game hitting streaks...Betts and Alvarez each have hit in four straight games...Franco recorded his tenth multi-hit game...Alvarez picked up his 11th multi-hit game and tied his career-high with four hits, which he did twice in 2016 for the DSL Rays...Alvarez has the first four-hit game by a Hot Rod this season and the first since Ronaldo Hernandez on September 2, 2018...Smith had his fifth multi-hit game, tying a season-high with three hits...Smith's three RBI tie a career-high, set on June 24, 2018...It is his third multi-RBI game this season... Palomaki picked up his sixth multi-hit game...Witherspoon posted his sixth multi-RBI game of the season...Johnson had his seventh multi-RBI output...Bowling Green hit two triples, the second time they have done so this season (also May 6 vs. Burlington)...The Hot Rods scored ten or more runs for the fifth time season...Strong earned his third win, two of which have come in relief...Sanchez's 4.0-inning outing is the shortest outing by a Hot Rods starter since May 5 at Peoria, a span of 11 games...BG is 19-5 when out-hitting their opponents...The Hot Rods are 20-10 against right-handed starters...Bowling Green has allowed three runs or fewer in 12 of their 18 games in May...BG improves to 16-7 when scoring first...The Hot Rods improved to 10-3 while wearing their orange uniforms...Bowling Green is 91-73 all-time against Lake County, 40-43 at Classic Park.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Bees Score Pair of Walk-off Wins - Burlington Bees
- Olmeda's Walkoff Homer Give Bees a Twinbill Sweep of Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Homestand Preview: May 20-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Weber Launches Snappers to 15-7 Win over the Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Skyler Weber Crushes Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Win Wild Series Finale in Peoria 11-9 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Knocks in Career-High Six, Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Fall 8-7 in 10-Inning Series Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Falter Late in Loons Rally - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Cruise Their Way to 8-4 Series Finale Win over Dayton - South Bend Cubs
- Biggest Comeback of Year Ends Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Freeman's Walk-Off Single in 10th Secures Split of Four-Game Series - Lake County Captains
- Clinton Rallies to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Down, But Never Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Take Game One From Rattlers in Extra Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 4-Run 1st Inning Keys Cubs 8-4 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Fort Wayne vs. Lansing Cancelled by Rain - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts and TinCaps Canceled by Rain - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Starter Watson Added, to Start Today - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 19 vs. Lansing (Game 41) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020