Hot Rods Fall 8-7 in 10-Inning Series Finale
Eastlake, OH - Beau Brundage and Jake Palomaki hit their first homers of the season in the Bowling Green Hot Rods 8-7 loss to the Lake County Captains in a 10-inning series finale on Sunday afternoon. The Hot Rods split the series and are 24-19. The team will travel to West Michigan to face the Whitecaps in the first of four games on Monday night with a 6:05 CDT first pitch.
In the bottom of the first, Lake County took the lead against Hot Rods starter Easton McGee. After Jose Fermin reached on an error to begin the frame, Ruben Cardenas homered for the third time in the series, sending a two-run homer over the wall in left-center field that gave the Captains a 2-0 lead.
In the second, Bowling Green cut into the lead against Captains starter Luis Oviedo. Grant Witherspoon led off with a double to left-center, then scored when Roberto Alvarez followed with a double to right, making it a 2-1 game.
Lake County responded by extending the lead in the third with McGee still on the mound. Will Benson singled to left with two outs, and Miguel Jerez hit a two-run homer over the left field wall, putting Lake County in front by a 4-1 score.
The Hot Rods responded in the top of the fourth against Oviedo and the Captains. Ford Proctor doubled with one out and Oviedo walked Palomaki. Brundage jumped on a first-pitch fastball and launched a long home run over the right-field wall, tying the game at four apiece on the three-run blast, the first of his career.
In the seventh, the Hot Rods broke through against reliever Kellen Rholl. After two walks and an error loaded the bases with two outs, Palomaki singled into left field to score Chris Betts with the go-ahead run. Witherspoon was thrown out at the plate to end the inning, but Bowling Green had their first lead of the game, 5-4.
Miller Hogan began his second inning of relief with the lead and retired the first two hitters. Benson hit a long solo-shot on a 1-0 pitch off the scoreboard in right-center field, re-tying the game at five each.
In the ninth, Alvarez singled with one out against Lake County reliever Manuel Alvarez. After moving to third with two outs, Palomaki struck once more, lofting a fly ball over the left-field wall. His first home run of the season put the Hot Rods up 7-5.
The Captains tied the game in the bottom of the frame against Trey Cumbie to force extra innings. Benson led off with a single and Jerez hit his second home run of the game, a shot that cleared the wall in left-center to tie the game at seven.
Bowling Green was unable to score in the top of the tenth against Captains reliever Skyler Arias. Brundage began the inning on second base as the designated runner but was thrown out at the plate attempting to score on a ground ball by Wander Franco with one out. In the bottom of the inning against Chris Muller, Tyler Freeman singled to right with one out, plating Hosea Nelson to give Lake County an 8-7 walk-off win in the series finale.
McGee went 5.0 innings, allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits, walking three and striking out two in a no-decision. Hogan went 2.0 innings, allowing a run on three hits and striking out two. Cumbie went 2.0 frames, allowing two runs on four hits, walking two and striking out three. Muller (0-2) recorded one out, allowing a hit and an unearned run, taking his second loss.
Notes: Smith tripled for the second-consecutive game...It's the first time a Hot Rod has tripled in back-to-back game since Willy Adames on August 24-25, 2014...Alvarez has a six-game hitting streak...Alvarez has a team-high 12 multi-hit games...Brundage had his second multi-RBI game and set a career-high with three RBI...Johnson had his ninth multi-hit game... Palomaki has a four-game hitting streak...He also collected his seventh multi-hit game and his second consecutive two-hit effort...McGee has allowed four home runs this season, all against Lake County...He allowed two homers in two separate starts (the other on April 15 at home)...Bowling Green allowed four home runs, the most allowed this season...The Hot Rods are 3-3 in extra innings this season... Bowling Green are 20-11 against right-handed starters ...The Hot Rods are 10-4 while wearing their orange uniforms...Bowling Green is 91-74 all-time against Lake County, 40-44 at Classic Park...The Hot Rods will travel to Comstock Park, MI to begin a four-game series with the West Michigan Whitecaps...RHP Shane Baz (0-0, 1.80) will start on Monday night for the Hot Rods against Whitecaps RHP Gio Arrera (2-2, 7.83), with first pitch at 6:05 CDT...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Bees Score Pair of Walk-off Wins - Burlington Bees
- Olmeda's Walkoff Homer Give Bees a Twinbill Sweep of Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Homestand Preview: May 20-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Weber Launches Snappers to 15-7 Win over the Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Skyler Weber Crushes Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Win Wild Series Finale in Peoria 11-9 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Knocks in Career-High Six, Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Fall 8-7 in 10-Inning Series Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Falter Late in Loons Rally - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Cruise Their Way to 8-4 Series Finale Win over Dayton - South Bend Cubs
- Biggest Comeback of Year Ends Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Freeman's Walk-Off Single in 10th Secures Split of Four-Game Series - Lake County Captains
- Clinton Rallies to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Down, But Never Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Take Game One From Rattlers in Extra Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 4-Run 1st Inning Keys Cubs 8-4 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Fort Wayne vs. Lansing Cancelled by Rain - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts and TinCaps Canceled by Rain - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Starter Watson Added, to Start Today - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 19 vs. Lansing (Game 41) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020