Bandits Win Wild Series Finale in Peoria 11-9
Peoria, IL - The Quad Cities River Bandits did just enough to emerge with an 11-9 victory over the Peoria Chiefs in a wild back-and-forth affair at Dozer Park on Sunday afternoon. The River Bandits scored in six different innings with Peoria scoring in four different frames. The Bandits moved a season-high 13 games over .500 on the campaign.
The lead had already exchanged hands multiple times prior to the seventh inning beginning with a 5-5 tie. The tie did not last long as Trey Dawson smacked a go-ahead three-run home run to left center, putting the Bandits ahead 8-5. It was the second consecutive game in which Dawson gave the Bandits the lead with a home run.
In the bottom of the frame, Peoria climbed back within one thanks to a two-run single by Brady Whalen who finished the contest with six runs batted in. Those two runs were the only runs surrendered by winning pitcher Humberto Castellanos in his 3.1 innings.
The River Bandits added some much needed insurance in the top of the ninth. They loaded the bases with one out on a pair of singles and a walk. Reliever Thomas St. Clair regrouped to strike out Ross Adolph for the second out of the frame. However, Michael Wielansky lined a clutch two-RBI single into center field to push the lead to 10-7. Jeremy Pena followed with an RBI single of this own and the gap widened to 11-7.
In the bottom of the ninth, Peoria edged closer with an RBI double by Leandro Cedeno and a sacrifice fly from Whalen. With the tying run at the plate and two outs, Riley Cabral struck out Brendan Donovan looking to end the game.
Quad Cities had built early 2-0 and 4-1 leads before the Chiefs battled back each time. Peoria eventually took their only lead of the game with four runs in the fifth inning off of Bandits starter Matt Ruppenthal. The right-hander allowed five runs on eight hits in 4.2 innings.
Whalen finished 3-4 with two doubles and six runs batted to lead all hitters. Cesar Salazar paced the Bandits with three hits. He was joined by Wielansky and Jonathan Lacroix who each added a pair. Wielansky has reached base safely in all 11 games he has played with the River Bandits.
The River Bandits head to their final stop on a 12-game road trip to meet the Kane County Cougars at Northwestern Medicine Field on Monday night at 6:30 p.m. RHP Luis Garcia (2-0, 2.67) will start on the mound for the Bandits against Cougars RHP Levi Kelly (0-0, 3.46)
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 19, 2019
- Bees Score Pair of Walk-off Wins - Burlington Bees
- Olmeda's Walkoff Homer Give Bees a Twinbill Sweep of Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels Homestand Preview: May 20-27 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Weber Launches Snappers to 15-7 Win over the Cougars - Beloit Snappers
- Skyler Weber Crushes Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Win Wild Series Finale in Peoria 11-9 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whalen Knocks in Career-High Six, Chiefs Fall Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Fall 8-7 in 10-Inning Series Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- 'Caps Falter Late in Loons Rally - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Cruise Their Way to 8-4 Series Finale Win over Dayton - South Bend Cubs
- Biggest Comeback of Year Ends Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Freeman's Walk-Off Single in 10th Secures Split of Four-Game Series - Lake County Captains
- Clinton Rallies to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Down, But Never Out - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Take Game One From Rattlers in Extra Innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 4-Run 1st Inning Keys Cubs 8-4 Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Fort Wayne vs. Lansing Cancelled by Rain - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts and TinCaps Canceled by Rain - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Starter Watson Added, to Start Today - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 19 vs. Lansing (Game 41) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park
- Bandits Now Accepting Valentine's Day Dinner Reservations
- River Bandits to Host Charity Hot Stove Dinner January 29th