Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012December 3, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) San Jose Earthquakes
Wondolowski Named Volkswagon MLS MVP
Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski was named the Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player for the 2012 season last week. Wondolowski is the first player in club history to win league MVP honors. In 2010, he was a finalist along with LA Galaxy forward Edson Buddle and eventual MVP David Ferreira of FC Dallas. The only other players in club history to be named a finalist for the award were Jeff Agoos in 2003 and Dwayne De Rosario in 2005. Wondolowski's 27 goals this season tied the League's all-time single-season record and won him a second Budweiser Golden Boot award. The plethora of goals helped the predatory striker set an MLS mark for game-winning goals with 11. He also became the only player in MLS history to score the most regular season goals in three consecutive seasons.
Frank Yallop Named MLS Coach of the Year
Frank Yallop was named 2012 MLS Coach of the Year last week after guiding the Earthquakes to a franchise best record of 19-6-9 and the club's second Supporters' Shield. The award is Yallop's second Coach of the Year honor after earning his first in his inaugural season with the Quakes in 2001 when he led the club to its first MLS Cup. Yallop orchestrated one of the best turnarounds in MLS history. The 2012 Quakes not only had the best record in MLS but also led the league in scoring with 72 goals, shattering the club's previous record of 55 set in 1997. The Quakes were the first team since the LA Galaxy and Miami Fusion in 2001 to average more than two goals per game.
Quakes Announce 2013 Preseason Schedule
The San Jose Earthquakes unveiled their 2013 preseason schedule today, a slate that includes trips to Tucson, Ariz., Oxnard, Calif. and Portland, Ore. for friendlies and the second-annual Timbers FC Preseason Tournament. Players will report to camp on Saturday, Jan. 19 with the club's first practice to follow on Monday, Jan. 21. For more information on the preseason game schedule and the preseason travel schedule, visit www.sjearthquakes.com .
San Jose Earthquakes Preseason Game Schedule:
Feb. 2 - #Earthquakes vs. Houston Dynamo, 10 a.m. PT
Feb. 17 - %Earthquakes vs. Portland Timbers, 5 p.m. PT
Feb. 20 - %Earthquakes vs. AIK (Sweden), 5 p.m. PT
Feb. 23 - %Earthquakes vs. FC Dallas, 2:30 p.m. PT
Note: Dates and times are subject to change. Games may be added at any time.
#The Desert Friendlies presented by FC Tucson at Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Ariz.
%Timbers Preseason Tournament at JELD-WEN Field in Portland, Ore.
San Jose Earthquakes Preseason Travel Schedule:
Jan. 19 - Team Physicals
Jan. 21-27 - San Jose, Calif. at Earthquakes Training Facility
Jan. 28-Feb. 2 - Tucson, Ariz. at Kino Sports Complex
Feb. 3-5 - San Jose, Calif. at Earthquakes Training Facility
Feb. 6-10 - Ventura, Calif. at Oxnard Community College
Feb. 11-15 - San Jose, Calif. at Earthquakes Training Facility
Feb. 16-Feb. 23 - Training in Portland, Ore. (Matches on Feb. 17, Feb. 20, Feb. 23)
Quakes Decline Options for Corrales, Opara, Stephenson, Ward and Gjertsen
The Earthquakes have declined options on five players, including: defenders Ramiro Corrales, Ike Opara and Tim Ward and midfielders Joey Gjertsen and Khari Stephenson. Each player will be eligible for Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft on Friday, Dec. 7 and Friday, Dec. 14.
Earthquakes Front Office Joins Turning Wheels For Kids Big Bike Build
Members of the Earthquakes Front Office Staff are invited to help build bikes on Saturday, Dec. 8 with the organization, Turning Wheels For Kids. The event will be held in the South Hall of the San Jose Convention Center, located at 435 South Market Street, San Jose, from 9 a.m. to noon.
Earthquakes Partner with Downtown San Jose's Christmas in the Park
The Earthquakes will once again partner with Downtown San Jose's Christmas in the Park at Plaza de Cesar Chavez. The club will feature an Earthquakes-themed tree in the park throughout the holiday season.
Earthquakes Partner with Santa Run Silicon Valley
As part of its support for Downtown San Jose, the Earthquakes have partnered with Santa Run Silicon Valley 2012. The 5K race/walk starts at Plaza de Cesar Chavez at 4 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 16. Registration is open at www.santarunsv.com .
Wells Fargo Goals for Education
The Earthquakes raised a total of $18,500 through the Wells Fargo Goals for Education program thanks to the club's 72 regular season strikes and two MLS Cup Playoff tallies. The club is now sifting through donation requests to determine which organizations will receive funds through the program. Thanks to 40 goals in 2011, the partnership raised $10,000 for local youth soccer and athletic development programs a year ago.
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2012
- LA Galaxy Make Six Players Available for Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 3, 2012 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs GK Jeff Attinella - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Players Begin Training with Derby - Colorado Rapids
- Re-Entry Process Eligible Player List Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Exercise 2013 Options on Eight Players - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Decline Options on Three Players - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Trades MF Will Johnson to Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Atiba Harris in Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Acquire International Roster Spot from Colorado Rapids for Striker Atiba Harris - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Will Johnson from Real Salt Lake for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Forward Fabian Espindola and Defender Jamison Olave - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Declines Options on Four Players - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Fabian Espindola and DF Jamison Olave to New York - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Decline Options on Palmer, Purdy - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Acquire Defender Eric Brunner from Portland Timbers in Exchange for Allocation Money - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from Houston for Defender Eric Brunner - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Trades Michael Harrington to Portland Timbers for Allocation Money - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Acquire Defender Michael Harrington from Sporting KC for Allocation Money - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Acquire Defender Kosuke Kimura from Portland Timbers - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation, Homegrown Rights for Bryan Gallego from New York - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquires Justin Braun from Real Salt Lake - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades FW Justin Braun to Toronto FC for DF Aaron Maund - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Announce 2013 Preseason Plans - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF Chris Wingert and DF Tony Beltran to Contract Extensions - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Declines Contract Options on Four Players - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to host championship celebration on Monday night at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.