River Cats Drop Game One to Bees, 7-2June 28, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Sacramento River Cats
Billings began the game better than ever, striking out the side in order for a perfect first inning. He wasn't as sharp in the second inning, relinquishing five earned runs in the frame, capped by a three-run home run from Salt Lake center fielder Kole Calhoun. Billings righted the ship, shutting out the Bees for the next four innings, but the damage was done.
The River Cats scored a run in the fourth and seventh innings, but were unable to overcome the five-run deficit, ultimately losing, 7-2.
Billings exited after seven innings, having given up nine hits, six earned runs and two walks with six strikeouts for his second loss of the season. He gave up two home runs, tying the season-high for an individual River Cats pitcher. Justin Souza also gave up a long-ball in the eighth. The three home runs allowed by the River Cats pitching staff ties their season-high.
Daric Barton was the only River Cat to record multiple hits, finishing 2-for-3 with a double, a run scored and a stolen base. Anthony Recker was the only River Cat to drive in a run, finishing1-for-3 with an RBI.
Calhoun finished 2-for-3 with a run, three RBIs, a home run and a triple. Former River Cats left-hander Greg Smith gave up one earned run in six innings with two strikeouts for the Bees, earning his third win of the year.
Despite the loss, the River Cats maintain their 2.5-game lead in the division as the second-place Fresno Grizzlies lost to the Reno Aces, 6-3.
The two teams return to Raley Field at 7:05 p.m. for a Miller Lite Thirsty Thursday. The River Cats will send right-hander Brad Peacock (6-4, 5.99 ERA) to the mound to take on Bees left-handed pitcher Brad Mills (3-3, 4.12 ERA).
The current River Cats homestand culminates on July 3 for the team's Independence Celebration, where they will be hosting a pre-game BBQ at 5:00 p.m. The first 2,500 fans through the gate for the 6:35 p.m. game will receive an American flag courtesy of the U.S. Army, and Sutter Health will produce a Fireworks Extravaganza after the game.
2012 River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, Flex Plans and group outings can be purchased by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). Individual game tickets, starting at $8, are available online at ticketmaster.com and at Raley Field's Round Table Pizza Ticket Office. For more information about the 2012 River Cats season, visit www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 28, 2012
- Albuquerque Outlasts Memphis in 10-8 Slug-Fest - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express Edge Nashville 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Win Again in Iowa, 3-1 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- RedHawks Prey on Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Montz 5 RBI Lead Zephyrs to a 12-1 Win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Express Even Series with 4-2 Win over Sounds - Nashville Sounds
- Kole Calhoun Named 2012 PCL All-Star - Salt Lake Bees
- Infielder Josh Vitters Named to PCL All-Star Team - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Nashville Sounds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sky Sox Outfielder Andrew Brown Elected to the PCL All-Star Team - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Three RedHawks Named 2012 Triple-A All-Stars - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Four Isotopes Named to PCL All-Star Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Browning Tabbed as PCL All-Star - Memphis Redbirds
- Catcher Juan Apodaca Reassigned to Tennessee - Iowa Cubs
- Hacker, Hembree Named to 2012 PCL All-Star Team - Fresno Grizzlies
- Round Rock's Butler Selected PCL All-Star - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Send Two to Triple-A All-Star Game - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Land Four Players on PCL All-Star Team - Reno Aces
- Four Storm Chasers Named to PCL All-Star Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Graham Godfrey Named to Pacific Coast League All-Star Team - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds P Jim Henderson Named to PCL All-Star Team - Nashville Sounds
- Koehler Named to PCL All-Star Team - New Orleans Zephyrs
- 2012 Pacific Coast League All-Star Team Announced - PCL
- 2012 Reno Aces Baseball Camp Set for July 13 - Reno Aces
- Tucson Rallies from 4-0 Hole - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Roll Past Las Vegas, 4-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Drop Game One to Bees, 7-2 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Open Homestand with 6-3 Win over Fresno - Reno Aces
- Chasers Defeat the Zephyrs, 8-5, in Comeback Fashion - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.