Early R-Phils Outburst Buries Alderson, CurveJune 6, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Altoona Curve
In fact, it wasn't just that the R-Phils got on the board in the first inning on Wednesday. They did it with their first batter to the plate, snapping a streak of 20 straight innings for Curve pitchers without allowing a run. Miguel Abreu took Alderson out to left field to lead off the bottom of the first inning for Reading and send the Phillies on their way. They followed with another run in the first, two unearned tallies in the second, and two more in the third on catcher Sebastian Valle's sixth homer of the season to race out to an early 6-0 advantage.
The Curve tried to get their own offense into the fight in the top half of the fifth inning when, with two out, Kelson Brown singled and went to third base on Alderson's double behind him. Brock Holt subsequently singled the pair home, but Holt was cut down from the outfield on a rundown after rounding first base too widely to end the inning. Altoona had just three baserunners the rest of the way.
Alderson (3-2) allowed another run in the fifth, his final inning of work, to send his ERA spiking from 2.33 where it entered the day to 3.09 after its conclusion. Reading right-hander Jonathan Pettibone (5-5) kept the Curve's offense stifled in his start, allowing just two runs on seven hits over seven innings, striking out three without a walk.
Thursday, the Curve aim for a series win and a strong start to their six-game road trip in the finale of three here in Reading. Altoona turns to the left-hander Nathan Baker (3-6, 5.40) in the finale opposite R-Phils right-hander Austin Hyatt (1-0, 4.76) with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Airtime on ESPN 1430 in Altoona and the Curve Radio Network slated for 6:35.
Eastern League Stories from June 6, 2012
- 'Wolves Left Thunder Struck on Wednesday - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators Rally for Second Straight Night to Win 4-3 Over Binghamton - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Cruise to 8-5 Win - Portland Sea Dogs
- NuÃ±o Picks Up First Win As Trenton Tops Erie, 7-4 - Trenton Thunder
- Perez Carries Hot Bat in 6-4 Aeros Win - Akron Aeros
- Harrisburg Repeats Feat, B-Mets Fall, 4-3 - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Strike Early to Sink Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Early R-Phils Outburst Buries Alderson, Curve - Altoona Curve
- Fisher Cats and Flying Squirrels Suspended Wednesday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Squirrels and Fisher Cats Suspended Wednesday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Trenton Thunder - - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at New Hampshire - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Bryce Brentz Honored as the Eastern League Player of the Month - Portland Sea Dogs
- Mesa and Mujica Return for Thunder; Mahoney Hits DL - Trenton Thunder
- Portland's Bryce Brentz Named May Player of the Month - EL
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Harrisburg Senators - Binghamton Mets
- Bowie Baysox Announce Player Moves - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Report Card Night & Bonus Kids' Club Game Added to Upcoming Homestand - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Welcome 'The Hitman' - Bowie Baysox
- Baysox Host Scout Night Camp Out - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.