Komets 2012-13 Schedule AnnouncedMay 30, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Fort Wayne Komets
The long-time rival Kalamazoo Wings will return to help the Komets launch another chapter in the team's history as the 61st season of Komet hockey in Fort Wayne gets underway. Fort Wayne fans haven't seen the Wings since Kalamazoo bolted from the IHL for the ECHL after the 2008-09 season. The last time the Wings visited the Memorial Coliseum was April 24, 2009 when the Komets escaped with a 3-2 overtime win to take a 3-2 first-round series lead before clinching the series at Kalamazoo 5-3 April 25, 2009 in the last meeting. The season opener will be the sixth time Kalamazoo has visited for a Fort Wayne home opener. It will be the third season opener between the two rivals. The last time the two teams met for a season opener was Oct. 8, 1988. Kalamazoo also visits for the conclusion of 2012-13 on Saturday, March 30.
72 games for 2012-13-- The ECHL's 25th anniversary schedule carries an even 36 home and 36 road games. The Komets reside in the Eastern Conference and will play 14 of the 23 teams. Fort Wayne faces Kalamazoo the most at 15 meetings. The Evansville Icemen and Toledo Walleye will each skate 11 games against Fort Wayne while the Cincinnati Cyclones meet the Komets 10 times for a total of 47 games between Fort Wayne and North Division rivals. Toledo will make the most trips to Fort Wayne with seven. Rounding out the schedule will be eight Atlantic Division games (Elmira 3, Reading 2, Wheeling 2, Trenton 1), 14 South Division games (Gwinnett 5, Orlando 4, Florida 2, South Carolina 2, Greenville 1). The Komets skate three games against the Western Conference, all against Colorado when they visit the Eagles for three games in February.
Holidays and weekends-- The Komets will be home for a total of 30 weekend and holiday games. The tradition of Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve games continues. The Komets host Kalamazoo Thanksgiving night, Nov. 22. It will be Kalamazoo's second Thanksgiving appearance in Fort Wayne. The Wings also visited for Thanksgiving Nov. 24, 1983. Toledo visits for the annual New Year's Eve game Monday, Dec. 31. It will be the ninth time a Toledo team visited for New Year's Eve. The last time was when the Goaldiggers came to town to help ring in 1975.
K's on the road-- The Komets will tackle two five-game road trips starting with five straight matches Nov. 28 thru Dec. 9. A string of five straight road games is also slated from Feb. 6 thru Feb. 15.
There are two extended visits of three straight meetings each as the Komets get reacquainted with Orlando and Colorado. The Komets will face the Solar Bears at Orlando for three games in three nights Dec. 7, 8 and 9. The last time the Komets faced Orlando was April 11, 1999 in Fort Wayne against the IHL Solar Bears. Fort Wayne travels to Colorado to reunite with the Eagles for three games in a row Feb. 6, 8 and 9. The Komets also faced the Eagles during the 2010-11 CHL season.
Komet Hockey home double-header weekend-- There are six home double-header weekends for Fort Wayne fans. The Gwinnett Gladiators visit for games Oct. 26 and 27. Toledo and Evansville are in town Nov. 16 and 17. The Komets welcome Cincinnati for a pair Jan. 12 and 13. Kalamazoo and Cincinnati visit Feb. 1 and 2. The 2012 ECHL Kelly Cup Champion Florida Everblades make their only appearance of the season March 8 and 9. The Greenville Road Warriors and Evansville visit for the final home double-header of the season March 16 and 17.
"The Komets are very excited about starting our first year in the ECHL with such a great home and road schedule," said Komet President Michael Franke. "We are fortunate to play our regional rivals several times and our fans will see 14 different teams on Coliseum ice this season. It may be our best schedule ever."
Season tickets now on sale-- Season tickets are on sale at the Komet office, 1010 Memorial Way, Fort Wayne. For information visit www.komets.com, or call 260-483-0011.
All new and improved Komets.com-- The Komets' new website is scheduled to launch Tuesday, June 5. An interactive calendar of the Komets' schedule will also provide specific information about all Komet events as well as all home and road games. In addition to Komet hockey news and information, the new site will feature an on-line team store and improved navigation of the ticketing process. Fans will be able to download and access photo galleries, player information, video, audio and other multi-media features as well as follow Komet gamecasts live and much more.
ECHL Stories from May 30, 2012
- IceMen Announce 2012-13 ECHL Schedule - Evansville IceMen
- Utah Grizzlies Release 2012-2013 Schedule - Utah Grizzlies
- Toledo Walleye Announce 2012-13 Schedule - Toledo Walleye
- Everblades Announce 2012-13 Schedule - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Unveil 2012-2013 Schedule - Kalamazoo Wings
- Michael Franke, Coaching Longevity and a Stanley Cup Prediction on Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Jackals Reveal 2012-2013 Schedule - Elmira Jackals
- Condors Announce 2012-13 Regular Season Schedule - Bakersfield Condors
- Idaho Releases '12-'13 Schedule - Idaho Steelheads
- Ontario Announces 2012-13 Season Schedule - Ontario Reign
- Nailers Announce 2012-13 Season Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets 2012-13 Schedule Announced - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Announce 2012-13 Regular Season Schedule - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Announce 2012-13 Regular-Season Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- Colorado Eagles Announce 10th Anniversary, 2012-13 Regular Season Schedule - Colorado Eagles
- ECHL Releases 2012-13 Schedule; Gladiators Open 10th Season on the Road - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Trenton Titans Release New Schedule for the 2012-13 Season - Trenton Titans
- Aces Announce 2012-2013 Season Schedule - Alaska Aces
- Cyclones Unveil 2012-13 Schedule - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Colorado Eagles Unveil 10th Anniversary Logo - Colorado Eagles
- ECHL Announces 2012-13 Schedule - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.