Playoffs Beckon for Wolves After Jensen's Hat TrickApril 15, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Chicago Wolves
Nineteen-year-old right wing Nicklas Jensen delivered a hat trick in his sixth professional game while 22-year-old goaltender Joe Cannata stopped 38 shots in his professional debut as the Wolves defeated Peoria 4-2 in an Illinois Lottery Cup contest before 11,535 at Allstate Arena.
The Wolves (42-27-4-3), who rested several top performers with the Midwest Division title in hand, now turn their attention to the 2012 Calder Cup chase --- the team's 15th playoff berth in their 18-year history.
The third-seeded Wolves open the Western Conference Quarterfinals at 7 p.m. Thursday at sixth-seeded San Antonio. Chicago's first home playoff appearance will be Game 3 at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 24.
"It was good to close out the season with a win in front of our crowd tonight," said Wolves head coach Craig MacTavish. "Even though the game meant nothing in the standings, I was glad to get some momentum going into the playoffs."
Jensen zipped straight out of the penalty box and onto the scoresheet at 9:29 of the first period to open the scoring. Jensen received the puck in the left circle, skated toward the middle and flipped a backhander past Peoria goaltender Jordan Binnington. Kevin Doell and rookie defenseman Frank Corrado earned assists on the play --- Corrado registering his first professional point.
Jensen notched his second goal at the 13:53 mark of the second with the Wolves just getting started on the power play. Mark Mancari's slapshot from the point ricocheted straight to Jensen on the doorstep and he shoveled home the puck for his third goal as a pro.
Tim Miller added an unassisted goal at 3:13 of the third. Cannata lost his shutout at 9:17 of the third as Cade Fairchild delivered a power-play goal with a shot from the point. Cannata stopped Peoria's first 36 shots. Adam Cracknell shaved the margin to 3-2 with 6:21 to play, but Jensen wrapped up his hat trick on an empty-net goal with 37.6 seconds to play.
The 19-year-old Binnington (0-1-1) made 35 saves in his professional debut. Peoria wrapped up its season at 39-33-2-2.
To purchase a Chicago Wolves playoff package - which offers fans the same seat for all 15 possible games - or playoff flex packs, call 1-800-THE-WOLVES. Individual tickets for playoff games at Allstate Arena also can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000, going to any Ticketmaster outlet or the Allstate Arena box office, or visiting chicagowolves.com or ticketmaster.com.
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2012
- P-Bruins End Pirates Season - Portland Pirates
- Aeros First Round Playoff Schedule Set - Houston Aeros
- Aeros Top Stars for Playoff Spot - Houston Aeros
- Bourque, Conacher Win AHL Scoring Races - AHL
- Barons Take on Houston in Round 1 of Calder Cup Playoffs - Oklahoma City Barons
- Scrivens Wins AHL's Holmes Memorial Award - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Will Face Toronto Marlies in First Round of 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs - Rochester Americans
- Heat to Face Milwaukee in Western Conference Quarter Final - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Announce First Round Playoff Series - Toronto Marlies
- Heat Announce Year-End Awards - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Thank Fans with Playoff Berth - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Battle Abbotsford in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Milwaukee Admirals
- AHL Announces Opening Calder Cup Playoff Schedules - AHL
- Stars Close out Season with a 2-1 Loss in Houston - Texas Stars
- Rampage Announce 2012 Western Conference Quarterfinal Schedule - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Season Ends with Loss to Wolves - Peoria Rivermen
- Heat Close Regular Season with OT Win Over Marlies - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Battle San Antonio in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Chicago Wolves
- Playoffs Beckon for Wolves After Jensen's Hat Trick - Chicago Wolves
- Conacher's Hat Trick Bounds Norfolk to 28th Straigt Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Toronto's Ben Scrivens Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- Rampage Shutout Barons 1-0 to Clinch Playoff Berth - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals King Checkers, Punch Playoff Ticket - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Close Season Against Desperate Crunch - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Pirates in Finale - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Playoff Hopes Hang in Balance - Charlotte Checkers
- IceCaps Announce First Round Schedule - St. John's IceCaps
- Griffins End Season with Loss in Hamilton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Beat Penguins 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps fall to Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Crunch Announce First-Round Playoff Schedule - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears End Regular Season with Loss to Sharks - Hershey Bears
- Heat Defeat Marlies To Finish Season On High Note - Abbotsford Heat
- Bulldogs Team Awards Winners Announced - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Clinch Playoff Berth with 2-1 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Bulldogs Conquer Griffins 3-2 in Final Game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Monarchs Head to 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Open Playoff Series Against Manchester Monarchs on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Sharks Finale Very Gourde in 3-2 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Penguins Defeated by Sound Tigers in Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2011-12 Final Springfield Falcons Notes - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Present 2011-12 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- Aeros Game Day, April 15: Aeros Vs. Stars - Houston Aeros
- Bears Sign Forward Barry Almeida to Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Houston - Texas Stars
- Jake Allen Recalled by Blues - Peoria Rivermen
- Heat Vs Marlies Game Preview - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.