X's Score 14 to Take Series from Saltdogs
LINCOLN, NE - The Sioux City Explorers scored 14 runs on 17 hits to beat the Lincoln Saltdogs 14-6 in a marathon game at Haymarket Park on Saturday night.
Austin Robichaux was charged with the loss in his Saltdogs (0-3) debut. The righty was roughed up for three runs in 1.1 innings despite giving up just one hit. He walked five of the 11 batters he faced leading to his early exit.
The X's (3-0) didn't have trouble with Robichaux's replacement, Brian Smith, either. They jumped on the lefty for four runs on seven hits over 2.2 innings. Sioux City was ahead 7-0 before the Saltdogs scored in the bottom of the fourth inning.
The Explorers continued the offensive production against the next three relievers, piling on nine runs on seven hits against Dimitri Kourtis, Leland Tilley and Kyle Kinman. J.R. Bunda threw a perfect inning in the ninth for the Saltdogs. 'Dogs pitchers allowed runs in all but two frames and Bunda was the only pitcher to retire the side in order.
The Saltdogs defense didn't do its pitching staff any favors either. They committed three errors and made other questionable decisions. Lincoln's defense has made seven errors in three games.
The offense did provide some moments of hope for the Saltdogs. Chase Simpson broke a 13-inning scoreless streak with a solo homer in the bottom of the fourth. That wasn't all he did. The switch hitter was 4-4 with a single, two doubles, a home run and two RBIs. He added a walk to reach base in all five trips to the plate.
Christian Ibarra was also hot at the dish. He was 4-5 with a double and an RBI for the 'Dogs. The infielder is hitting .600 through three contests.
The game saw 11 different pitchers and lasted three hours and 53 minutes.
The Saltdogs try to salvage one game from the opening set against the X's tomorrow at 1:05 PM. Lincoln will throw Michael Tamburino and Sioux City counters with Justin Vernia.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2018
- Explorers Offense Powers Way to Third Win of Season - Sioux City Explorers
- X's Score 14 to Take Series from Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Take Series over Goldeyes - Cleburne Railroaders
- T-Bones Rally Late; Lose to Wichita 5-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Edged by Railroaders - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- May 19 Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Martin Sold to the Mets - Kansas City T-Bones
- Harman Powers Wichita to Series Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Turnbull's Stellar Start Propels Dogs to First Win in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Copeland's 4 Hits Not Enough in 8-3 Loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Staying Single, Saints Get First Win of Season with 8-3 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Last Night's Recaps - AA
- Unearned Runs Doom T-Bones in the Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Saltdogs Stories
- Saltdogs Collect Talented Group of Players to Complete Earlier Trades
- Haymarket Park Picked as 'Field of the Year' for the 18th Straight Season
- 2018 Season Recap
- Season Recap: Third Straight Winning Season Marked by Great Moments
- Curt Smith Named American Association Player of the Month