Unearned Runs Doom T-Bones in the Opener
WICHITA, Kan. - After a solid early start for the Kansas City T-Bones, a rough fourth inning helped Wichita run away with an 8-2 win on the season opening night in Wichita.
The T-Bones shot out to an 2-0 lead in the top of fourth inning. Adam Walker hit a one out double to left field to start the Kansas City scoring threat. After Nick Torres flew out to right field, Cal Towy launched a two-run home to give the T-Bones their only lead of the game off Wingnuts starter Travis Banwart.
In the home half of the fourth things quickly turned messy. Logan Watkins reached on an error by third baseman Zach Walters. Luis Paula retired the next man but Abel Nieves singled home Watkins to cut the lead to 2-1. Nieves looked to be caught in a run down between first and second trying to steal second but Paula's throw wound up in center field to move Nieves over to third and charging Paula with an error.
Franscisco Gracesqui came into the game after Paula got the second out on a Tony Thomas fly to right. Zach Nehrir singled to score Nieves to tie the game at two. John Nester then drew a walk setting up Logan Trowbrige, who doubled into left to put the Wingnuts up 4-2.
In the sixth a lead off hit by pitch and another T-Bones error set up Nehrir who drove in another pair of runs by hammering a double to left to make it 6-2. The Wingnuts added another run on wild pitch and one more in the eighth to put the game out of reach at 8-2.
Banwart (1-0) got the win going five innings while Paula (0-1) pitched three scoreless innings before giving up three unearned runs in the fourth.
The T-Bones (0-1) will continue their series with the Wichita Wingnuts (1-0) tomorrow night in Wichita at 7:05 p.m. in Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. Right-hander Hunter Adkins takes the hill for Kansas City while Wichita will send left Casey Harman to the mound. The game can be heard online on the T-Bones Broadcast Network on MixLR.
The T-Bones home opener is Tuesday, May 22nd, at 7:05 p.m. against the Gary SouthShore RailCats. Season, group, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium. Call the Box Office at 913-328-5618 or purchase and print at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday.
For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at (817) 739-3693. Stay tuned to www.tbonesbaseball.com. and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2018
- Explorers Offense Powers Way to Third Win of Season - Sioux City Explorers
- X's Score 14 to Take Series from Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Take Series over Goldeyes - Cleburne Railroaders
- T-Bones Rally Late; Lose to Wichita 5-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Edged by Railroaders - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- May 19 Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Martin Sold to the Mets - Kansas City T-Bones
- Harman Powers Wichita to Series Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Turnbull's Stellar Start Propels Dogs to First Win in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Copeland's 4 Hits Not Enough in 8-3 Loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Staying Single, Saints Get First Win of Season with 8-3 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Last Night's Recaps - AA
- Unearned Runs Doom T-Bones in the Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.