Explorers Offense Powers Way to Third Win of Season
Lincoln, NE - The Explorers score 14 runs on 17 hits and demolish the Saltdogs by a score of 14-6 to start the season 3-0.
The Explorers scored in every inning in this game except for the fifth and ninth innings. And used their style of small ball offense to get the job done. Only three of their seventeen hits tonight went for extra bases, and they were able to draw seven walks from Saltdogs pitching.
Every starter in the Explorers lineup tonight contributed to the scoreboard in the game by either scoring or driving in a run to make it a total team effort.
Jay Austin lead the team with four runs batted in with three of those coming on sacrifice flies and also collected two base hits.. The top two batters in the order for Sioux City, Luis Durango and Michael Lang each got on base four times, combined for three steals and five runs.
Nelson Ward had a three hit effort with a double and two singles, two runs scored and two runs batted in. Jay Baum also had a three hit night with two base hits and a triple, he also drove in two runs.
Daniel Jackson batting from the ninth spot in the order reached base four times, and registered three base hits in the game with two runs scored. The Explorers were only retired in order once in the top of the ninth.
The Explorers were able to get Lincoln starting pitcher Austin Robichaux out of the game after an inning and a third after he allowed five walks and three runs. He ended up taking the loss. Brian Smith came in for relief and did not fare much better lasting two and two-thirds allowing seven hits and four runs to score.
On the other side of the ball for the Explorers starter and former big leaguer, Taylor Jordan pitched five innings of three run ball, allowing six hits, two walks and collecting seven strikeouts to pick up the win in his X's debut.
Sioux City pitching combined to strike out 13 Saltdogs in the game. The Explorers also committed one error during the game and have only committed two errors in the series compared to the Saltdogs who committed three errors tonight and brings their series total up to seven.
The Explorers will look to earn the season opening series sweep tomorrow afternoon with first pitch scheduled for 1:05 pm.
Order your tickets for the 2018 home opener on Friday, May 25th by stopping down to the stadium box office at Mercy Field at Lewis & Clark Park, online at www.xsbaseball.com, or by calling 712-277-WINS (9467). Group rates available for groups of 20 or more for all (50) home games on the 2018 schedule!
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2018
- Explorers Offense Powers Way to Third Win of Season - Sioux City Explorers
- X's Score 14 to Take Series from Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Take Series over Goldeyes - Cleburne Railroaders
- T-Bones Rally Late; Lose to Wichita 5-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Edged by Railroaders - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- May 19 Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Martin Sold to the Mets - Kansas City T-Bones
- Harman Powers Wichita to Series Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Turnbull's Stellar Start Propels Dogs to First Win in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Copeland's 4 Hits Not Enough in 8-3 Loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Staying Single, Saints Get First Win of Season with 8-3 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Last Night's Recaps - AA
- Unearned Runs Doom T-Bones in the Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.