T-Bones Rally Late; Lose to Wichita 5-2
Wichita, Kan. - The Kansas City T-Bones (0-1) were looking to even out their early season record in Wichita Saturday evening but fell to the Wingnuts 5-2 in the second of a three-game series at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The game was scoreless until the third when T-Bones right-hander Hunter Adkins encountered a tough inning, with five Wingnuts runs scoring off five back-to-back hits.
Consecutive singles to right field by Wichita batters Leo Vargas and Logan Watkins put runners at first and second, when another single by the next batter Ryan Willard brought home Vargas. Another single by Abel Nieves to center field loaded the bases. The next two batters were both hit by pitches, bringing in two more runs for Wichita. Yet another single, this one to left field, off the bat of John Nester, brought home the fifth run of the inning and locked up Wichita's lead.
T-Bones relief pitching by Carlos Diaz, Sam Street and Cody Winiarski kept Wichita scoreless for the rest of the game.
Kansas City kick started a rally in the top of the ninth with a single by Adam Brett Walker to center field. A right field single by the next batter, Nick Torres, advanced Walker to second. Designated hitter Cal Towey doubled to center field, scoring Walker and putting runners in scoring position. But that's as far as Kansas City would get, with Wingnuts reliever James Campbell retiring the next three batters to end the game.
The T-Bones scored two runs on eight hits with seven men left on base. The Wingnuts scored five runs on eight hits with six left on base.
Starting pitcher Hunter Adkins gets the loss for Kansas City, and starting pitcher Casey Harman gets the win for Wichita.
The two teams will go at it again Sunday at 1:05 p.m. with LHP Cody Dickson making the start for Kansas City and RHP Jordan Cooper on the mound for Wichita. You can follow the action live with the voice of the T-Bones Dan Vaughan at mixlr.com/t-bones-baseball/.
The T-Bones return home for their home opener Tuesday night at 7:05 pm against the Gary SouthShore RailCats. Season, group, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium. Call the Box Office at 913-328-5618 or purchase and print at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday. For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at (817) 739-3693. Stay tuned to www.tbonesbaseball.com. and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2018
- Explorers Offense Powers Way to Third Win of Season - Sioux City Explorers
- X's Score 14 to Take Series from Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Take Series over Goldeyes - Cleburne Railroaders
- T-Bones Rally Late; Lose to Wichita 5-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Edged by Railroaders - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- May 19 Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Martin Sold to the Mets - Kansas City T-Bones
- Harman Powers Wichita to Series Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Turnbull's Stellar Start Propels Dogs to First Win in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Copeland's 4 Hits Not Enough in 8-3 Loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Staying Single, Saints Get First Win of Season with 8-3 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Last Night's Recaps - AA
- Unearned Runs Doom T-Bones in the Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.