Harman Powers Wichita to Series Victory
WICHITA, Kans. - Six sparkling innings from Casey Harman and a five-run explosion in the bottom of the third guided the Wichita Wingnuts to a 5-2 win over the Kansas City T-Bones on Saturday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Making his first professional appearance since the 2014 season, Harman (1-0) was masterful, allowing just four baserunners while striking out three. The southpaw set down the T-Bones (0-2) in order in four of his six innings, finishing his outing with 82 pitches.
The support for Harman came in the third, as the Wingnuts (2-0) strung together five hits to scratch across five runs against Kansas City starter Hunter Adkins (0-1). Ryne Willard's first hit in a Wingnuts uniform was an RBI single that drove home Leo Vargas to get the scoring started, then two hit-by-pitches with the bases loaded increased the Wichita advantage to 3-0. Logan Trowbridge capped the frame by smacking a two-run single, giving the Wingnuts a 5-0 cushion.
Manager Brent Clevlen turned to newcomer Felix Carvallo for the seventh and eighth innings, and the lefty responded with two shutout innings, piling up three strikeouts in the process. Kansas City got two runs in the ninth against reliever James Campbell, who then slammed the door with three consecutive groundouts.
Willard and Abel Nieves each finished 2-for-3 for Wichita, while Adrian Nieto led the way for Kansas City with a pair of hits and a run driven in.
The Wingnuts and T-Bones wrap up their series on Sunday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont, with first pitch scheduled for 1:05 PM. Jordan Cooper (0-0, 0.00) gets the start for Wichita, while lefty Cody Dickson (0-0, 0.00) is the projected starter for Kansas City. The game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2018
- Explorers Offense Powers Way to Third Win of Season - Sioux City Explorers
- X's Score 14 to Take Series from Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Take Series over Goldeyes - Cleburne Railroaders
- T-Bones Rally Late; Lose to Wichita 5-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Edged by Railroaders - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- May 19 Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Martin Sold to the Mets - Kansas City T-Bones
- Harman Powers Wichita to Series Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Turnbull's Stellar Start Propels Dogs to First Win in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Copeland's 4 Hits Not Enough in 8-3 Loss to St. Paul - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Staying Single, Saints Get First Win of Season with 8-3 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Last Night's Recaps - AA
- Unearned Runs Doom T-Bones in the Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.