Winterhawks Weekly: Hawks Pick up Three Points; Teddy Bear Toss on the Horizon
The Winterhawks picked up three of six possible points last week to keep pace atop the U.S. Division and roll into a busy week on home ice with some positive momentum.
Looking ahead, the holidays are here at the VMC with our Holiday Party and Teddy Bear Toss slated for this week!
Forward Jack O'Brien led all Winterhawks skaters with four points (2G, 2A) in three games last week, including a two-point outing in Friday's win over Victoria.
Forward Gabe Klassen notched an assist on Wednesday's game against Seattle, then fired home the game-winner on Friday against Victoria. Klassen boasts a team-high 16 goals this season.
Forward Robbie Fromm-Delorme skated in his 200th career game and tallied one assist on Friday, then chipped in a goal on Saturday for his team-leading 33rd point of the season.
Play of the Week:
The Portland power play was clicking on Friday, linking up for a pair of goals on a 5-on-3 power play. The first - a game-winning shot from the slot by Gabe Klassen - showcased the Hawks' efficiency with the man advantage as they zipped the puck from between Klassen, Luca Cagnoni and Jack O'Brien for the eventual tally.
Portland 1 vs Seattle 3 (Wednesday):
Kyle Crnkovic and Jordan Gustafson tallied two in the third period for Seattle (16-4-1-0) to help their club withstand a late Jack O'Brien tally and take a 3-1 win over the Winterhawks (17-4-1-1). Dante Giannuzzi remained solid for Portland with 32 saves, but Seattle's Thomas Milic took the win with 35 stops of his own.
Portland 3 vs Victoria 1 (Friday):
Facing another early deficit, the Winterhawks (18-4-1-1) rallied for three straight goals to knock off the visiting Victoria Royals (3-19-3-0) by a 3-1 final and snap their three-game winless skid on Friday night.
Jan Špunar picked up 29 saves on 30 shots for his seventh victory of the campaign, while Ryan Miller made his WHL debut and Robbie Fromm-Delorme skated in his 200th game.
Portland 3 at Everett 4 OT (Saturday):
The Winterhawks (18-4-2-0) rallied twice to tie the game and earn a point, but Jackson Berezowski's PPG in overtime gave the Everett Silvertips (14-9-1-0) a 4-3 win on Saturday.
The Week Ahead:
IT'S TEDDY BEAR TOSS WEEK!
...but before we get to the flying stuffed animals, we've got some midweek action to tend to against the Prince George Cougars! Join us at 7:00 P.M. for our Holiday Party - enjoy your favorite seasonal tunes and stick around after the game for the Fred Meyer Ham Shoot!
After a big win on Wednesday, grab your teddy bears for the best goal celebration of the season on Saturday! Doors open at 3:30 P.M. to allow folks to get through arena security with their bears for a 5:00 P.M. puck drop against the Seattle Thunderbirds. After the Winterhawks score their first goal of the game, it's time to throw those bears! All items will be collected and donated to Portland-area charitable organizations - last year we donated over 7,000, but we know we can do even better this time around!
Wrapping up the week, it's another divisional battle against the Everett Silvertips. Puck drop is set for 5:00 P.M. as the Hawks look to stay unbeaten in regulation against the Tips this year.
Upcoming Promo Nights:
Wednesday, December 7 - Holiday Party - BUY TICKETS
Saturday, December 10 - Teddy Bear Toss - BUY TICKETS
Saturday, December 17 - Ugly Sweater Night - BUY TICKETS
Single-game tickets are now on sale for the 2022-23 season!
Season Ticket Memberships are the best way to catch ALL of the action, including the same great seat to all 34 Winterhawks games at Veterans Memorial Coliseum, or grab a 20-Game Plan for more flexibility while still enjoying a guaranteed 20 nights of excitement!
Want more options? Flex Packs offer ultimate ticket versatility, with packs of vouchers sold in increments of 10 or 34 for you to go solo to all of the games, or bring a few friends to a handful of games! Just want to be there for the big ones? Check out our Theme Packs, the best way to enjoy fan-favorite promo nights, huge rivalry matchups and more!
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2022
- Royals Host BC Division Rival Blazers for Two Game Set - Victoria Royals
- Royals Acquire Pair of 4th Round Picks from ICE for Defenceman Wyatt Wilson - Victoria Royals
- ICE Acquire Wilson from Victoria - Winnipeg Ice
- Tigers Deliver Teddy Bears and Smiles to Those in Need - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Teddy Bear Toss Night this Saturday, December 10 - Regina Pats
- Flight Plan: Teddy Bear & Toque Toss Goes this Friday (December 5-11) - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Olen Zellweger Named to Hockey Canada Selection Camp Ahead of '23 Tournament - Everett Silvertips
- Dach to Attend WJC Selection Camp - Kelowna Rockets
- Zack Ostapchuk Invited to Canada's World Junior Selection Camp - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Captain Bedard Named to 2023 WJC Selection Camp - Regina Pats
- Bankier and Stankoven Selected to Canada's National Junior Team Camp - Kamloops Blazers
- Four Thunderbirds Named to WJC Camp - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Lambos Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Winnipeg Ice
- Thirteen WHL Players to Attend National Junior Team Selection Camp - WHL
- December 5 - Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Winterhawks Weekly: Hawks Pick up Three Points; Teddy Bear Toss on the Horizon - Portland Winterhawks
- Oil Kings Acquire Rights to Conrad Fondrk from Kamloops - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blazers Add Draft Pick for Prospect - Kamloops Blazers
- Rebels this Week - Red Deer Rebels
- Oil Kings Set to Host 15th Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Teddy Bear Toss And Family Skate This Weekend - Kelowna Rockets
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- Teddy Bear Toss Friday - Winnipeg Ice
- Warriors Fall in Calgary to End Successful Road Trip - Moose Jaw Warriors
- 3 Power-Play Goals Propels Cougars to 6-3 Win in Langley - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.