Westchester Knicks Win Regular Season Road Finale against Sevens
NEWARK - The Westchester Knicks (28-21), the official NBA Development League affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, won the team's final regular season road game 104-101 against the Delaware 87ers (21-29), the Philadelphia 76ers affiliate.
Things started off slowly for both sides as it took the two teams a few minutes to get warmed up. Trading six leads and tying it up three times, an evenly matched first quarter gave way to the Knicks with a quick five points in the final minute.
Westchester took the lead up to six points in the second before the 87ers took control of the quarter midway through. Eight points each off Delaware's bench from Jamal Jones and Davon Usher pushed the home team hold a two point lead at the half.
Taking off on a 10-1 run to start the third quarter, Delaware racked up a 11 point lead over Westchester. The resilient Knicks chipped away, using a 9-0 run of their own, eventually tying it up. The back-and-forth continued for the remainder of the quarter, Westchester using 10 points from guard Travis Trice II to stay in the game.
Down by three heading into the final quarter, the Knicks used a 12-0 run to take back the lead from the 87ers with five minutes left in the game. Not giving up, Delaware's Ty Green hit a jumper to give the 87ers back the advantage but Westchester's Jimmer Fredette fired back with a signature three. Though Delaware came back within one point twice more, the Knicks would hold on for the 104-101 win.
Travis Trice II led all scorers with 21 points, adding three each of rebounds and assists. Jimmer Fredette finished with 19 points, also contributing seven assists and five rebounds. Ra'Shad James came off the bench to supply 17 points, while Darion Atkins grabbed 12 rebounds from the pine. Thanasis Antetokounmpo was just short of a double-double with 12 points and nine rebounds, also blocking three shots and catching two steals. Jordan Bachynski rounded out the double-digit scoring with 11 points.
Ty Green and Baron Davis paced Delaware with 18 points each, the latter NBA veteran also supplying six assists. Jamal Jones contributed 16 off the bench, while two 87ers found double-doubles: David Laury with 12 points and 13 rebounds, Charles Jackson with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
The Westchester Knicks return home to the Westchester County Center for the regular-season finale on Saturday, April 2 at 5:00 p.m. to face the Maine Red Claws, the Boston Celtics' affiliate. The game will be broadcast live on MSG 2 and on the NBA Development League's YouTube channel.
Saturday's game is Kids Day, featuring fun activities for the whole family including a LEGO building station provided by LEGOLAND Discovery Center, Sports Physics activities with Mad Science, and Face Painting by Fun Faces by Brenda. The first 1,000 fans will also receive Sunglasses provided by Red Oak Transportation.
Tickets for Game One of the 2016 NBA D-League Eastern Conference Semi-Finals, set for Tuesday, April 5 at 7:00 p.m. at the Westchester County Center, are on sale now at Ticketmaster outlets, via WestchesterKnicks.com, and at the Westchester County Center Box Office. Playoffs ticket strips are available by calling 914-559-6889. Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team at: @wcknicks on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat and on Facebook at facebook.com/wcknicks.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 1, 2016
- Warriors Fall in Idaho - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Sioux Falls Skyforce Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Austin Spurs Edge Los Angeles D-Fenders 115-108 - Austin Spurs
- Warriors Acquire Cannen Cunningham and Ryan Manuel - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Blue Closes Season with Loss to Texas - Oklahoma City Blue
- Scott Suggs records season-high 30 points in 2015-16 finale - Raptors 905
- Fair Leads Mad Ants in Final Game of the Season over Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Fair Leads Mad Ants in Final Game of the Season over Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge End Season Even with Franchise Record - Canton Charge
- Westchester Knicks Win Regular Season Road Finale against Sevens - Westchester Knicks
- Westchester Knicks to Make First-Ever Playoff Appearance on Tuesday, April 5 - Westchester Knicks
- Eastern Conference Semifinals Schedule Set - G League
- Red Claws Announce Playoff Schedule - Maine Red Claws
- Playoff Game 1 In Canton Tuesday, April 5th - Canton Charge
- Kings Recall Dukan and Moreland from Reno - Reno Bighorns
- Iowa Energy Announce "Can D.J. Dunk over You?" Promotion - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Add Melvin Johnson III for Last Game - Grand Rapids Drive
- Blue Comes up Short in Home Finale - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.