Weninger, Beauregard Shine in Win vs. Rapid City
WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita closed a three-in-three on Sunday afternoon, claiming a 3-1 win against Rapid City at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Anthony Beauregard finished with three points and Dean Stewart recorded his first power play goal of his career. Evan Weninger made a season-high 50 saves to earn his 10th win of the year.
The only goal of the first period came from Beauregard at 8:57. He took a errant pass off the left dasher, skated through center on an odd-man rush and beat Adam Carlson through the five-hole for his eighth of the year.
Beauregard added his second of the contest at 8:54 of the second to make it 2-0. Weninger made a nice save on one end and that led to a goal on the other. Stefan Fournier collected the puck in his own zone, carried through center, dropped it to Beauregard and he hammered a shot past Carlson.
The Thunder added a power play goal at 15:14 of the third to increase the lead to 3-0. Beauregard fired a shot from the right circle, the rebound banked off of Carlson to the left dot and Stewart fired it past him for his third of the year.
Rapid City got on the board at 17:32 and spoiled the shutout bid from Weninger. Andrew Sturtz scored a power play marker with a slapshot from the right circle to make it 3-1. The Rush pulled Carlson with two minutes left in regulation, but the Thunder skated away with the victory.
Wichita scored two power play goals for the first time in a game this season. Weninger stopped 50 of 51 shots, which is a new season-high for saves and shots allowed in a game. Beauregard finished with two goals and an assist and has points in 13 of his last 14 games.
The Thunder closes their four-game mini-series against Rapid City on Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m.
Images from this story
Wichita Thunder goaltender Evan Weninger vs. the Rapid City Rush
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 28, 2021
- Mavs Handle Business in Tulsa, Win 5-2 Sunday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wichita Avoids Sweep with Game 3 Win on Sunday - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Defeat Oilers in Rubber Match - Tulsa Oilers
- Weninger, Beauregard Shine in Win vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Wheeling Defeats Utah 6-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers Pound Grizzlies, 6-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Solar Bears Shine over Icemen with 4-1 Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Overtime Thriller Sees Icemen Edge Solar Bears 3-2 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Coughler lifts Solar Bears to 4-1 win with hat trick - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hand Indy Back to Back Losses - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - February 28 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: February 28, 2021 Utah at Wheeling - Utah Grizzlies
- Special Teams Leads Greenville over Allen - Allen Americans
- Rabbits Take Two of Three over Americans, Win 6-4 on Saturday Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavericks Defeat Tulsa on Front Line Workers Night - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.