Rabbits Take Two of Three over Americans, Win 6-4 on Saturday Night
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits garnered a three-game series victory over the Allen Americans after winning the rubber match on Saturday night, 6-4 at Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
In the first period, Allen scored only 27 seconds into the tilt courtesy of Les Lancaster's seventh goal of the campaign. Lancaster received a left-wing pass from Corey Mackin and beat Rabbits goaltender Ryan Bednard.
The Swamp Rabbits responded with three unanswered tallies, beginning with Liam Pecararo on the power play at 3:42. From the left circle, Pecararo fired a wrist shot bar-down to equalize the score at 1-1.
Greenville grabbed the lead with Matt Bradley's ninth goal of the season. Bradley on a breakaway went five-hole past Americans netminder Justin Kapelmaster to give Greenville a 2-1 advantage.
The Bits concluded a three-goal first frame on Garrett Thompson's first of two goals on the night. Thompson fired a backhander from the slot that trickle through the wickets of Kapelmaster at 15:14. Shots after 20 minutes were 22-7 Greenville to mark a new season-high for most shots in a single period.
In the middle frame, Allen cut into the deficit with a Dyson Stevenson tally at 5:27. Following a turnover at the Rabbits blueline, Stevenson raced to the net and found twine along Bednard's glove side.
Less than a minute later, the Americans tied the affair at 3-3 courtesy of Joseph Garreffa's seventh of the season. After the Swamp Rabbits rang iron on one end, Garreffa countered 200 feet away and buried the equalizer at 6:12.
Before intermission, Greenville grabbed the lead back on Thompson's second goal of the night at 18:13. The Greenville forward finished a Shawn Cameron feed at the net front and slotted the puck by Kapelmaster. Shots after 40 minutes were 33-20 Rabbits.
In the third period, Greenville doubled their advantage with a power play marker from Patrick Bajkov. At the right circle, Bajkov fired quick shot from the right circle through traffic to provide the Swamp Rabbits a 5-3 lead at 4:02.
Allen answered on a power play marker of their own from Josh Lammon at 13:29 to cut the score to 5-4.
In the final minute, Matt Bradley hit the empty net at 19:14 for his second goal of the night and team-best 10th of the season. The Swamp Rabbits improved to 12-9-5-2 in their 6-4 victory over Allen to salvage the weekend.
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits return to action on Friday, March 5 to open a three-game road set with the Rapid City Rush. Puck drop is scheduled for 9:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 28, 2021
- Mavs Handle Business in Tulsa, Win 5-2 Sunday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wichita Avoids Sweep with Game 3 Win on Sunday - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Defeat Oilers in Rubber Match - Tulsa Oilers
- Weninger, Beauregard Shine in Win vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Wheeling Defeats Utah 6-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers Pound Grizzlies, 6-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Solar Bears Shine over Icemen with 4-1 Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Overtime Thriller Sees Icemen Edge Solar Bears 3-2 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Coughler lifts Solar Bears to 4-1 win with hat trick - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hand Indy Back to Back Losses - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - February 28 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: February 28, 2021 Utah at Wheeling - Utah Grizzlies
- Special Teams Leads Greenville over Allen - Allen Americans
- Rabbits Take Two of Three over Americans, Win 6-4 on Saturday Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavericks Defeat Tulsa on Front Line Workers Night - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.