Wells Cruises in 4-2 Baysox Win
BOWIE, Md. - Alex Wells cruised through eight innings to lead the Bowie Baysox to a 4-2 victory over the Harrisburg Senators in front of 1,784 at Prince George's Stadium Monday night.
The Australian lefty earned his eighth win of the season and maintained his Eastern League-leading 1.95 ERA by allowing a pair of runs on four hits with four strikeouts. Wells retired 14 of 15 batters between the third and seventh innings, before Cristian Alvarado tossed a scoreless ninth for his third save of the season.
The Baysox (19-5) opened the scoring two batters into the game en route to a 2-0 lead. After a Mason McCoy leadoff triple, Cedric Mullins lined a single to center field for his third RBI since joining the club on Thursday. A wild pitch and a walk put runners on the corners for Carlos Perez, who drove in his 30th run of the year on a single to left field off starter Jacob Condra-Bogan in his first start of the season.
Harrisburg (8-15) used a wild pitch to score their first run of the game in the top of the fifth inning, but the hosts immediately answered with a run in the bottom half. Mullins singled and stole the team's third base of the night. During that at-bat, Ryan McKenna reclaimed the team lead in RBI, grounding a double down the left field line for his 41st run batted in of 2019.
The insurance continued in the sixth inning. Rylan Bannon led off the frame with the team's second triple of the game to right field and scored two batters later on a Martin Cervenka sacrifice fly to center field.
Bowie and Harrisburg continue their three-game series tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. RHP Michael Baumann (1-1, 0.50) makes his first Double-A start at home during another Dollar Dog Night at the ballpark, with the concession stands selling $1 hot dogs during the game.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Wells Cruises in 4-2 Baysox Win - Bowie Baysox
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Win for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Hill Delivers Walk-Off Winner for Erie - Erie SeaWolves
- Trenton Tags Bullpen, Turns Triple Play to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Bowie Holds Early Lead to Down Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Whitehouse Joins Forces with Boz to Keep Streak Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Joey Curletta Goes 2-For-4 in 2-0 Loss at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Forrest Wall's 8th-Inning Homer Powers Fisher Cats to 2-0 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Slick Glove Work Secures 4-3 Win over Altoona - Trenton Thunder
- Fightin Phils Silence Ponies in Series Opener - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Medina Cruises, Fightins Top Ponies 4-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Announce Player Lineup for 25 Seasons Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #91 Rumble Ponies (12-14) vs. Reading Fightin Phils (16-9) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rony Garcia, Matt Lipka Earn Eastern League Weekly Awards - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for July 8th-July 14th - EL
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 15th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowie Baysox Stories
- Baysox Host 13th Annual Holiday Hope Project
- Baysox Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Orioles Announce 2020 Minor League Coaching Staffs
- Eastern League Announces 2019 Minor League Award Nominees
- Baumann Named 2019 Orioles Co-Pitcher of the Year